Skip to content

Single person discount

Single person discount

Council tax single person discount

You can claim 25% off your council tax if you are the only person over 18 who lives in your home.

You can only claim a sole occupancy discount for your sole or main residence.

You must advise us of any changes to your household, for example, if a young person becomes 18, or if a partner or friend moves into your property.

You will not be entitled to a discount if someone has left your home for a short period of time and intends to return.

How to apply

Please either contact the council tax helpline on (01453) 766321 for an application form or email with your Council Tax account reference number, your name and address and the exact date that you became the sole adult occupier at your property.

After you’ve applied you must still pay the amount on your council tax bill until you hear from us.

Tell us about a change

If you no longer qualify for the single person discount please let us know by emailing, phoning the council tax helpline (01453) 766321 or write to us at the council, quoting your council tax account reference number and/or address.

You may have to pay a fine if you don’t tell us.

Last reviewed: