Skip to content

Disabled persons reduction

Disabled persons reduction

You can get a reduction on your bill if you or someone in your home is ‘substantially and permanently disabled’ and one of the following applies. You (or they):

  • have a room (other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet) which is used to meet your/their needs e.g. for the purposes of dialysis, treatment or for the storage of equipment;
  • have an additional bathroom or kitchen required for the use of the disabled person; or
  • sufficient floor space to permit the use of a wheelchair which is required for meeting the needs of the disabled person in the home.  The wheelchair will not be classed as meeting the disabled person's needs if the person does not need to use it indoors.

If you qualify we will treat your property as if it is in the valuation band below, for example, if your property is in band C you will pay the council tax for a band B property.  You can still get a reduction if your property is in band A.

Disability reductions are available on all types of dwellings, including care homes and hostels.

How to apply

If you would like to apply for the disablement relief reduction please contact us to make an appointment for our Visiting Officer to visit your home. 

Tel: (01453) 766321


Tell us about a change

If you no longer qualify for a disabled persons reduction, please let us know by emailing, phoning the council tax helpline (01453) 766321 or write to at the council, quoting your council tax account reference number and/or address.

You may have to pay a fine if you don’t tell us.

Last reviewed: