Skip to content



If the property has an F or G rating, and the landlord believes the property cannot be improved to meet the minimum E rating they can apply for an exemption from the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) Regulations.

You will need to give the reason for the exemption and have proof of exemption.

Registration is free of charge.

Exemptions are defined as:

  • High cost exemptions
  • 7-year payback exemptions
  • All improvements made exemptions
  • Wall insulation exemptions
  • Consent exemptions
  • Devaluation exemptions
  • New landlord exemptions

Find out more about exemptions on the website.

You will need to register the exemption on the National PRS Exemptions Register.

Last reviewed: