Skip to content

Temporary Event Notices (TEN)

If you wish to hold an occasional or ad-hoc event for up to 499 people, where licensable activities are to take place, you must apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN).

What is a Temporary Event Notice?

A Temporary Event Notice (TEN) is a notification given by an individual to Stroud District Council giving notice of an event that is to take place.

Temporary Events are events that take place in any premises, open space or temporary structure and:

  • Consist of one or more Licensable Activities;
  • The event is for a period of no longer than 168 hours (7 days);
  • No more than 499 people will attend the event (this includes all staff, performers and guests) at any one time;
  • Can be used for locations not covered by an existing Licence or Certificate granted under the Licensing Act 2003 or to extend hours for premises that hold a Licence or Certificate.

What are Licensable Activities?

  • The sale by retail of alcohol
  • The supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club to a member or to a guest of a member
  • Provision of regulated entertainment (see below)
  • Provision of late night refreshment (hot food or drink between 23:00 and 05:00)

What is Regulated Entertainment?

  • Performance of a play
  • Exhibition of a film
  • Indoor sporting event
  • Boxing or wrestling
  • Performance of live music
  • Playing of recorded music
  • Performance of dance

Who can give a Temporary Event Notice?

The person who gives the Temporary Event Notice is known as the ‘premises user’.

  • Any person who is over 18 years old can give a TEN.A TEN is treated as being from the same person if it is given by an ‘associate’. The Act defines ‘an associate’ as being a spouse, child, parent, grandchild, grandparent, brother or sister or their spouses or agent or employee of that person or their spouse, or a business associate where the business involves licensable activities.

Temporary Event Notice Restriction

  • Your event must not last longer than 168 hours (7 days in total).
  • There must be at least 24 hours between events covered by TENs submitted by you for the same location.
  • Any premises can have no more than 15 TENs per calendar year (Jan-Dec), authorising events on no more than 21 days in total.
  • No more than 499 people can attend your event at any one time (including staff, performers etc)

If you are likely to exceed the above limits, you will need to apply for a Premises Licence instead.

Standard Temporary Event Notices

A Standard TEN must be received at least 10 working days before the event. Please note that the 10 working days do not include the day of receipt, the day of the event, public holidays or weekends.

  • Non Personal Licence holders may only give up to 5 TENs per calendar year
  • Personal Licence holders may give up to 50 TENs per calendar year

LATE Temporary Event Notices

You can submit a TEN late but it must be received at least 5 working days before the event begins. Please note that the 5 working days do not include the day of receipt, the day of the event, public holidays or weekends.

  • Non Personal Licence holders may only give up to 2 Late TENs per calendar year
  • Personal Licence holders may only give up to 10 Late TENs per calendar year

What is Exempt from needing a Temporary Event Notice?

There are a range of exemptions for Regulated Entertainment which means there is no requirement for a TEN.

 Please see the Regulated Entertainment Fact Sheet for a full list of exemptions.

 There are no exemptions for Sale of Alcohol.

Last reviewed: