Skip to content


Support and Advice for Private Sector landlords,  aimed at encouraging good quality, affordable accommodation for rent.

Advice for renting out your property

For current guidance, links and up-to-date information visit the website.

Carbon monoxide detectors 

From the 1st October 2022 landlords must ensure that a carbon monoxide alarm is fitted in any room with a fixed combustion appliance which includes a gas boiler (but not a cooker)  Previously it only applied where solid fuel appliances were present. Further guidance

Energy efficiency

Minimum energy efficiency standards apply to all private rented dwellings. All lettings must have an EPC rating of E or above, unless an exemption has been registered.  Landlords can get help with making improvements via the Green Homes Grant Scheme.

Enforcement and Civil Penalties 

The Council has adopted an enforcement policy and a county-wide policy for the use of civil penalties where relevant contraventions of housing regulations and law occur. Copies of current policies can be downloaded from the side bar. 

Property accreditation - Fit to Rent

"Fit to Rent" helps landlords to achieve high standards in the rental market and gives landlords recognition and a badge of compliance. Apply to become a fit to rent landlord

Deposit bonds

Depending on circumstances the Council can provide you with a bond in the form of a guarantee for your tenant's deposit on receipt of a signed inventory. This is not a cash deposit. This means that if your property is damaged you can submit a claim to the Council before the end of the tenancy. The bond does not cover normal wear and tear or rent arrears and has a maximum value of one months rent. Bonds are valid for 12 months from the start of the tenancy but are renewable subject to conditions.

Your tenant must be over 35 if they are single, over 18 if they are a couple or over 18 with at least one dependant child to be eligible for the scheme. In addition they must qualify for Housing Benefit, be seeking privately rented accommodation in the Stroud District Council area and you must have obtained a Fit to Rent Award for your property or be willing to apply for one.

Help for Private Tenants

The Council's Homelessness Prevention Fund can help tenants with a local connection to find and stay in suitable affordable accommodation. Visit our Housing Advice pages

Last reviewed: