Garden waste collection service
A chargeable* fortnightly garden waste collection service runs from February to November.
Recycle bark, cut flowers, grass cuttings, hedge clippings, house plants, leaves, shrub prunings, twigs and small branches, untreated sawdust and wood shavings, and weeds.
Sign up or renew your licence for 2017 collections
Please note that regardless of the date you sign up or renew, your subscription is valid until the end of November 2017
Or you can pay:
- By telephone - 01453 754424
- In person - at the Council Offices, Ebley Mill, Ebley Wharf, Stroud GL5 4UB. You can pay using debit/credit cards or cash at the Council offices (We do not accept cheques), Monday to Thursday 8.45am to 5.00pm and Fridays 8.45am to 4.30pm
A garden waste license costs £36 and is valid February - November. New customers will also need to buy a garden bin which costs £20 (in the first year you pay £56). All applications will be charged at the full license price (£36) no matter what time of year the subscription is made. (e.g. subscription made July 2017 will only cover months up to November 2017).
Cancellations and queries
If you have a query or decide that you no longer wish to subscribe to the service, please contact us. Please note no refunds will be issued.
Terms and conditions for collections
- The garden waste collections and license runs from the beginning of February to the end of November each year
- No refunds will be issued
- Your license will arrive in the post and for new subscriptions your bin will be delivered. Both will arrive within 10 working days
- As of 1 February 2016 this scheme replaces the previous green garden sack garden waste collection which has come to an end
- The Council will provide one or more brown wheeled bin/s at a charge as required
- The brown bins become the property of the resident. The Council will not replace the bin if it is lost or stolen; this will be the responsibility of the customer
- Customers need to ensure their licence is attached to the top of the bin lid. Your bin will NOT be collected without a valid licence
- Garden waste will be collected fortnightly from February to November each year
- Only garden waste listed in the policy may be disposed of through this service
- All garden waste must be contained within the bin/s provided by the Council. Any garden waste not contained in a Stroud District Council brown bin will not be collected. Please ensure the bin lid is completely shut when presenting your bin for the collectors
- The Council reserves the right to refuse to collect overweight bins for health and safety reasons
- Should your collection be missed due to contractor failure, then the Council will arrange its collection by the end of the working day following the date of receipt of the call
- The Council reserves the right to suspend the collection of garden waste in cases of severe weather. On such an occasion the Council will make its best endeavours to collect the garden waste at the next earliest opportunity. The council will not reimburse customers in these instances
Alternatives to the garden waste collection service
The garden collection scheme is entirely optional and residents can still take their garden waste to the household recycling centres. Alternatively you may also like to compost. See www.gcc.getcomposting.com for further information on how to compost.
How the garden collection scheme works
Further information about our garden waste collection service.
Garden waste collection FAQ's
Find answers to the questions you may have.
Tips on what to do with your leftover food waste.
This page was last updated: Yesterday