Council tax band appeals


We would like to ask at this difficult time that you email us with any queries rather than contact us by phone.  Please only phone us if you have an urgent query.

We understand that this is a difficult situation for everyone and appreciate your understanding regarding this matter.

If you contact us please quote your Council Tax reference number (which can be found on the right hand side of your bill and is an 8-digit number starting with 9) or your name and/or address.

If you are experiencing financial difficulties due to a drop in your income you may be entitled to Council Tax support.  Please click on the link for further information.

Universal Credit and Council Tax support

Please see below for further information about the COVID-19 Council Tax Hardship Fund.

***We have been made aware that there are a variety of scams associated with council tax refunds and discounts happening, both locally and nationally.

Any resident who receives an email or text about a council tax refund or discount which asks them to click a link and put in personal details, should be ignored and deleted. If in doubt this can be reported to***

If you disagree with the band that has been applied to your property you may make an appeal to the Valuation Office. Please see how to do this below.

Who decides on my council tax banding?

Property bandings are determined by the Valuation Office Agency (a department of H.M. Revenue and Customs). The council cannot reduce the banding for your property.

Valuation bands are based on property values on 1 April 1991, not what a property is worth today. You should contact the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) to begin the process of an appeal.  Their contact telephone number is 03000 501 501 or you can also appeal in writing to: 

Council Tax West
Valuation Office Agency
Overline House
Central Station
Blechynden Terrace
SO15 1GW

How can I challenge my council tax banding?

You can challenge a council tax band by:

  • Asking the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) to review the band- e.g. if you think your home was valued incorrectly
  • Asking for a formal challenge to the VOA - you can only do this in certain circumstances (e.g. if your property has changed significantly since it was valued)

If you choose to make an appeal, you must still pay your council tax, at the current rate, while your appeal is in progress.

For further information about how to make an appeal go to

What happens if my appeal is successful?

If your appeal is successful, we will send you a revised bill and refund any council tax that you have overpaid.

Before you make an appeal, you should be aware that your banding could increase or decrease as a result of the appeal.

Share this page

We use cookies to improve user experience. If you continue, we will assume you are happy to accept cookies from this website. Continue