Skip to content

Houses in Multiple Occupancy (HMO)

If you rent out a property as a house in multiple occupation (HMO), you may require a licence.


Applications must be made to the local housing authority.

A fee will be charged.

You must be a fit and proper person to hold the licence.

Regulation summary

Application evaluation process

Licences will be granted if:

  • the house is or can be made suitable for multiple occupation
  • the applicant is a fit and proper person and the most appropriate person to hold the licence
  • the proposed manager has control of the house, and is a fit and proper person to be the manager
  • the management arrangements are satisfactory


The mandatory HMO licensing fee is £1380 for a 5 year licence per property. The fee is paid in two parts:

How to apply

The application form should be downloaded from one of the above links first and then opened with Adobe reader,  or it will not open. Follow the instruction message if the document does not open.  

All applications must be made with the following supporting documentation, without which the application will not be validated: 

  • Floor plan showing accurate dimensions of all rooms and the position of fire precautions and smoke/heat detector. 
  • The current Gas Safety Certificate (as applicable) 
  • The current Electrical Installation Condition Report.
  • A schedule  showing the last Portable Appliance Testing carried out on electrical equipment/appliances provided by the landlord.
  • The current certificate of compliance and testing for any grade A fire alarm system installed. 
  • The current certificate of compliance for any emergency lighting in the HMO.
  • A Fire Risk Assessment for the property, reviewed within the last year. 

Applications can be scanned and e-mailed to or posted to Environmental Health, Stroud District Council, Ebley Mill, Ebley Wharf, Stroud, GL5 4UB.  W

Once an application is received it will be processed within 8 weeks.