Houses in Multiple Occupancy (HMO)
If you rent out a property as a house in multiple occupation (HMO), you may require a licence.
Applications must be made to the local housing authority.
A fee will be charged.
You must be a fit and proper person to hold the licence.
Application evaluation process
Licences will be granted if:
- the house is or can be made suitable for multiple occupation
- the applicant is a fit and proper person and the most appropriate person to hold the licence
- the proposed manager has control of the house, and is a fit and proper person to be the manager
- the management arrangements are satisfactory
The mandatory HMO licensing fee is £830 for a 5 year licence per property. The fee is paid in two parts:
- An initial non-refundable payment of £245 must accompany the application
- If the application is approved, the remaining £585 must be paid prior to the issue of the licence
- Pay online - Choose the payment you wish to make. Follow the instructions and provide a copy of your receipt with the application form
How to apply
- Apply online for a house in multiple occupation licence
- Apply by post for a house in multiple occupation licence
All applications must be made with the following supporting documentation, without which the application will not be validated:
- Floor plan showing accurate dimensions of all rooms and the position of fire precautions and smoke/heat detector.
- The current Gas Safety Certificate (as applicable)
- The current Electrical Installation Condition Report.
- A schedule showing the last Portable Appliance Testing carried out on electrical equipment/appliances provided by the landlord.
- The current certificate of compliance and testing for any grade A fire alarm system installed.
- The current certificate of compliance for any emergency lighting in the HMO.
- A Fire Risk Assessment for the property, reviewed within the last year.
Applications can be scanned and e-mailed to email@example.com or posted to Environmental Health, Stroud District Council, Ebley Mill, Ebley Wharf, Stroud, GL5 4UB. W
Once an application is received it will be processed within 8 weeks.