Skip to content

Licensing & permits




Click here to see what hospitality businesses need to know about step four of the recovery roadmap - 19th July 2021


Click here for advice for taxi and private hire businesses about step four of the recovery roadmap - 19th July 2021


Click here to see the Council's web pages Covid-19 advice for  all businesses including licensed premises and street traders



Licence Types

  • policiespng Alcohol & Regulated Entertainment Licensing (Licensing Act 2003)

    The Licensing Act 2003 regulates the sale and supply of alcohol and entertainment and late night refreshment.

  • animals-greypng Animal Welfare Licences

    Information about animal welfare and movement licences.

  • electric-vehiclespng Environmental Permits

    You need a permit to run some types of industrial processes.

  • meals-on-wheelspng Food Premises Registration

    To store, prepare, distribute or sell food on premises you need to be registered with the council.

  • informationpng Gambling Licences, Permits and Lotteries (Gambling Act 2005)

    This page gives you information about the Gambling Act 2005 and the legal requirements. You will find links to pages that detail the different types of licenses, permits and notifications available.

  • housing-grouppng House to House Collections

    To carry out house-to-house collections for charitable purposes you need a licence from the council.

  • housing-personpng Multiple Occupancy Homes (HMO)

    If you rent out a property for house in multiple occupation (HMO), you may require a licence.

  • bulky-collections-greypng Scrap Metal Licences

    Guidance for dealers of scrap metal and how to apply for a licence to deal in scrap metal.

  • listpng Sex Establishments Licensing

    What a sex establishment is and how to apply for a licence.

  • hazard-signpng Skin Piercing & Personal Treatment Licences

    If you offer tattooing, semi-permanent skin colouring, cosmetic piercing, you must be registered.

  • streetpng Street Collections

    To collect money or sell articles for the benefit of charitable or other purposes in a public place, you require a street collection permit.

  • streetpng Street Parties

    If you are planning on holding a small event for your neighbours you may need to inform the council.

  • streetpng Street Trading

    If you trade in the street, or on land that the public have access to with out payment, you may require a street trading consent.

  • taxispng Taxis and Private Hire Licensing

    Taxi licensing information.

  • policiespng Temporary Event Notices (TEN)

    If you wish to hold an occasional or ad-hoc event for up to 499 people, where licensable activities are to take place, you must apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN).

  • tenantspng Licensing panel meetings

    Licensing Panels consider various licences including applications under the Licensing Act 2003 where there has been representation and reviews of taxi and private hire licences.

  • eatingpng Pavement Licences

    A pavement licence allows food and drink businesses such as pubs, restaurants and cafes, to put removable furniture on the pavement adjacent to their premises in order to sell or serve food and drink, or for people to sit at to consume food and drink.

Share this page

We use cookies to improve user experience. If you continue, we will assume you are happy to accept cookies from this website. Continue