Skip to content

Planning an event in the Stroud District

Stroud District Safety Advisory Group (SAG)

The Stroud SAG acts as a single point of contact for organisers of large events in the district to notify the relevant regulatory bodies and obtain safety advice and information on a wide range of topics.

See our SAG webpage for more information and how to submit a SAG notification

Heath, safety and risk assessments

No matter how small or big you event is you should think about the safety of your event goers and event workers. For bigger events you will need to do a formal risk assessment and have an event management plan.

Here are some links with advice

  • HSE event safety - For the latest advice on health and safety at events visit HSE's event safety web-page
  • CIEH - National guidance for outdoor and mobile catering.

For more advice contact the Food Hygiene and Health and Safety Team on

Protection Against Terrorism (Martyn's Law)

Martyn's Law is pending UK wide legislation that will place a requirement on those responsible for certain publicly accessible locations to consider the threat from terrorism and implement appropriate and proportionate mitigation measures.

For more information on Martyn's Law see the Home Office factsheet on Martyn’s law and the  Government's web

See here for the Protect UK website which gives support to organisations to evaluate and manage the risk from terrorism

Reducing plastic waste

Stroud District Council encourages event organisers to look at ways to reduce plastic waste and not use single use plastics such as disposable plastic glasses. View our waste and recycling pages for further information.


You may need to apply for a licence, permit or consent if you are going to have any of the following activities at your event

  • Sale of alcohol
  • Regulated entertainment - this includes live and recorded music, dancing, films, plays where it is provided to the public or is a private event being run for a profit.  NB background or incidental music is not considered regulated entertainment
  • Stalls selling good to the public - there are options to apply for short term  street trading consents or community and charitable event consents
  • Collecting money for a charitable cause in a public area
  • Raffles and prize draws  - you do not need any permissions for an incidental lottery which were you sell cloakroom tickets and an event and draw the prizes the same day

For more advice and information view our licensing webpages.