Benefits of working for us
We know our staff are our greatest assets and their health and wellbeing is a top priority for us. We are working hard to become an Employer of Choice.
We strive for a clear work-life balance through a flexible, hybrid approach to working wherever possible and offer a range of benefits and activities to cater for all tastes.
Flexible Working Scheme
Our popular flexi-time scheme allows flexibility over working hours which are agreed with your manager. This scheme also allows you to accrue up to two days flex-leave per month (pro rata).
We also welcome flexible working patterns, such as part-time, job-sharing and compressed hours.
Hybrid Working Approach
Embrace flexibility with our hybrid work model. Work from the office and home based on service requirements, ensuring the perfect balance between your aspirations and our business needs.
Local Government Pension Scheme – thinking of your future, now
We are proud of our exceptional pension scheme with an 18% Employer contribution!
We’re lucky to be part of the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) which is a ‘defined benefits scheme’. This means the income you receive from your pension is a guaranteed, pre-agreed amount.
This gives you the security of a secure future income and a respectable pension to look forward to once you decide to retire, independent of share prices and stock market fluctuations. It’s also a low-cost scheme giving tax-efficient savings and lower national insurance contributions for most people under state pension age.
For more information on the Local Government Pension Scheme, please see HERE
Commitment to Health and Wellbeing
Your health and wellbeing is of the utmost importance to us, and we're thrilled to announce that we've earned accreditation from Healthy Lifestyles Gloucestershire for the Workplace Wellbeing Charter.
Our wellbeing offer includes:
- Two wellbeing days per year (These are non-contractual and run between Jan 2023 – Dec 2023)
- Free and confidential employee counselling service
- Initiatives and activities led by the Wellbeing Ambassador networking group
- On site Mental Health First Aiders
- Free annual flu vaccinations
- Staff Wellbeing Events
- Free Eye Tests
Making a difference in our communities
We understand the value and benefits volunteering can bring to our staff and our communities. As such, we support up to three days of volunteering each year.
Furthermore, roles like Justices of the Peace and School Governors are regarded as a public duty so we offer paid leave of absence to attend meetings.
We know the importance of maintaining a work/life balance and have a range of policies in place to support this. These include:
- enhanced maternity/paternity and adoption pay for employees in line with our policies;
- a shared parental leave option, which enables parents to choose how to share the care of their child during the first year of birth or adoption;
- flexible working which includes our popular flexi-time scheme and the opportunity to request a change in their working pattern or arrangements to meet commitments outside work;
- staff with parental responsibilities can take unpaid leave to look after a child;
- and when care arrangements breakdown or there are sudden domestic emergencies, you can use your flexi-time or take unpaid leave.
As far as offices go, we must admit that we’re proud of ours. Based in the old Ebley Mill, the main council offices date back to 1820 and are steeped in Stroud’s heritage, serving as a proud reminder of our manufacturing past.
The canal and riverside location mean that it’s not unusual to be joined by ducks, swans and other wildlife during a lunch-time stroll. We are also within ten a minute walk of two supermarkets and other shops, bars and amenities. The canal-side cafe/wine bar is popular with staff. Ebley Mill also has on-site parking.
Learning and Development
Starting a new job can be daunting, but we try to make the process as smooth as possible. Each new employee is assigned a “buddy” to help to introduce them to the organisation.
Our comprehensive induction program includes a series of informative seminars to foster a strong sense of involvement.
As well as our corporate induction programme, we provide a range of opportunities for staff to gain professional qualifications. We will cover the cost of one relevant professional membership per employee.
For those aspiring to ascend into managerial roles, our LEAP program empowers individuals with the aptitude to excel both as leaders and managers
Schemes on offer include:
- Salary sacrifice schemes for Cycles, Tech and Electric Vehicles
- Employee discount scheme including the CSSC
- Annual Leave Purchase
- Corporate Membership at local gyms
- Employee Voice and support networking groups