Our Independent Living is a group of unfurnished, self-contained homes specifically designed for older people. The aim is to provide independent, secure accommodation with the optional addition of social facilities and functions.
Independent Living in the Stroud District
We have 27 Independent Living schemes within our district. The schemes are made up of studio, one or two bedroom bungalow or flats grouped together to help promote companionship and a feeling of security. Some properties within the schemes have been specifically built with ramps, wider doors and lower working surfaces for tenants in wheelchairs.
Our Independent Living schemes are suitable for all tenants aged 55 and over. We aim to maintain your independence within your own home although extra support can be provided by friends, family, social and health services.
We do not have a pull cord system, Careline is available on request. Some of our schemes have Visitor Rooms available for friends and family for which there is a daily fee.
Scheme services consist of a Site Officer and access to a Housing related Enabling Officer. A Community Hub Facilitator and small team concentrate on Social Inclusion across the district.
Site Officers duties include:
- Day to day running of the scheme
- Cleaning communal areas
- Maintaining the communal grounds
- Dealing with Health & Safety issues, compliance and hazards
- Reporting communal repair issues
- Light Maintenance
Enabling Officer will contact you on request to:
- Make referrals to specialist sources of help and support
- Provide support to maintain your tenancy
Community Hub Facilitator will:
- Work with external and internal partners to provide a Community based resource in our communal spaces on schemes
- Liaise with tenants to understand what they would like to see in the communal areas.
We have four Community Hubs in Stonehouse, Cam, Minchinhampton and Nailsworth. We have 20 schemes with communal spaces for tenants to socialise and 4 schemes with no communal spaces. Most schemes have communal laundry facilities.