Skip to content

Where to get help

If you are experiencing financial difficulties for any reason, the Housing Team at Stroud District Council will be able to refer you to our specialist money advice service run by the Citizens Advice Bureau. 

You can also find help and advice at:

The housing advice team are providers of foodbank vouchers. We can issue these to individuals or families in crisis situations, each voucher can be exchanged for food parcels from the foodbank.

We are unable to provide this service over the telephone and each applicant will be required to collect their voucher from the council offices. Further information and a full list of providers can be found on the Stroud Foodbank website.

Other information can be found:

GL Communities
GL Communities offer useful advice and can be contacted on 01452 306 581. They also hold a weekly drop-in session:

  • Tuesdays from 10am to 12.30pm at APT, Park Parade, Stonehouse
  • By appointment GL11 Community Hub, Cam by calling 01453 505 544 for an appointment

Soldiers', Sailors' & Airmen's Families Association (SSAFA)
SSAFA offer anyone who has served in Forces (Royal Navy, British Army or Royal Air Force), advice and support with finance and dealing with debt.  You can contact them by:

  • calling the national help line free from landlines and most mobiles on 0800 731 4880
  • calling your local branch on 01452 520 255 on Monday to Friday between 9.30am and 5pm

Gloucester Law Centre 
Gloucester Law Centre offers free confidential and impartial legal advice relating to housing matters, as long as you are eligible for legal aid.  Contact the centre to see if you can  get legal advice. You will certainly be entitled to if you are a tenant on Income Support, Universal Credit or Pension Credit or income based Employment Support Allowance.  Free advice is also available if you are homeless, subject to possession proceedings, have serious disrepair in your property, or have been accused of anti-social behaviour.

To make an appointment phone call 01452 423 492 during the weekdays. 

You can also attend a 'drop in' session on a Wednesday between 10am and midday but please call ahead to find out what documents you will need to bring.

If you have a court hearing today, you may request advice from the law centre through the court desk.  However, it is always better to get in touch with the law centre well before a court hearing.

Turn2us has useful information about grants if you need help with buying equipment, home improvements or medical needs.