Skip to content

Food Premises Registration

To store, prepare, distribute or sell food on premises you need to be registered with the local authority. Premises include restaurants, cafes, hotels, shops, canteens, market stalls, mobile catering vans and food delivery vans. Some manufacturers handling products of animal origin may need to be approved by the local authority or the meat hygiene service, rather than registered.

Regulation summary

When you start a new food business, or take over an existing business, in the Stroud district you must register with the Council. Food premises includes:

  • Restaurants
  • Hotels
  • Cafes
  • Shops
  • Supermarkets
  • Staff canteens
  • Kitchens in offices
  • Warehouses
  • Guest houses
  • Delivery vehicles
  • Buffet cars on trains
  • Market and other stalls
  • Hot dog and ice cream vans

If you use vehicles for your food business in connection with permanent premises such as a shop, or warehouse, you only need to tell us how many vehicles you have. You do not need to register each vehicle separately. If you have one or more vehicles but no permanent premises, you must tell us where they are normally kept.

Anyone starting a new food business must register with us at least 28 days before doing so.

The majority of premises have to be registered. However, certain premises are exempt from registration, such as those which are already registered for food law purposes, certain agricultural premises, motor cars, tents and marquees (but not stalls), some domestic premises and some village halls. You should contact us if you think you might be exempt.

Application evaluation process

No provision in legislation.


  • No fee is required

Apply online

More Information