Skip to content

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs. It’s paid monthly.

It's a new working-age benefit for anyone on a low to moderate income and it doesn't matter whether you are in or out of work, or how many hours you work.

Universal Credit is not dealt with by Stroud District Council. The Department for Work and Pensions is responsible for delivering this benefit. However, the housing benefits team are available to answer questions about housing benefit and the move to Universal Credit. If you need help or advice please contact us.

There is a government website to help you understand what Universal Credit means for you. Making a claim If you want to make a claim for Universal Credit visit GOV.UK/universal-credit

What benefits has it replaced?

UC brings together six benefits and tax credits and replaces them with a single monthly payment. It replaces: 

  • income-based jobseekers allowance
  • income-related employment and support allowance
  • income support
  • child tax credit 
  • working tax credit 
  • housing benefit

All other benefits not included in the above list will continue to be paid as usual, such as child benefit, carers allowance and council tax support. Council tax support You will still need to apply for council tax support payments directly from Stroud District Council.