Skip to content

The Royal Coronation 2023

The Coronation of His Majesty The King will take place on Saturday 6th May 2023. There will be an additional bank holiday across the UK on Monday 8th May 2023. There is information on this webpage for organisers of street parties and local events

What is happening across the Country

The Coronation will see people across the UK and the Commonwealth come together to celebrate. The Coronation programme will include the procession and service at Westminster Abbey on 6 May, the ‘Coronation Big Lunch’ across the country on 7 May (with a concert taking place in Windsor in the evening), and ‘The Big Help Out’ community activity on the bank holiday, Monday 8 May.

Here is a link to the Government's website with more information about what is happening nationally

Organising Coronation big lunches and street meets and street parties

If you're planning to celebrate the Coronation with your friends, family, and community, we want to ensure you have all the information you need to make it as simple as possible for you to arrange. You will find lots of useful information and guidance on this page to help you.

For information about the Coronation Big Lunch see  The Eden Project Communities website

For lots more information see the Government’s web page on organising street parties 

For advice and ideas for running a street party see

Don't want to have to apply for a temporary road closure? - Then think about a 'Street Meet' which is an easy way to bring neighbours together without having to close the road. Get some ideas from the webpage on Street meets

Want to get involved in the Big Help Out planned for Monday 8th May? See here for more details on the Big Help Out website

Temporary road closures (deadline for Coronation applications is 24th March 2023)

If you are going to hold your event in the street you should apply to temporarily close the road to ensure everyone’s safety. Even if you have a road closure you will need to ensure that emergency access is maintained.

There is normally a charge for a Temporary Road Closure. However Stroud District Council is waiving the fee if the following criteria apply

  • The event is to celebrate the Coronation
  • The event is being held during the period Saturday 6th May, Sunday 7th May and Monday 8th May 2023
  • The event is no longer than a 1-day period (within the same day)
  • The event is a not-for-profit community party or event

Here is the link to our road closure page where you can find the temporary road closure  forms guidance.

Click here to see here all Temporary Road Closures submitted to Stroud District Council including those for Coronation street parties.


You will not need a licence if residents or community members are bringing their own alcohol to the event, or you are giving away alcohol for free.

However, if you plan to make a charge for alcohol or run a pay bar, you should apply to the Licensing Team at Stroud District Council for a permission called a temporary event notice. Click here for the temporary event notice webpage with all the details and links to apply.

Music or entertainment

If your community party or event is a private get together for residents, and the music is not advertised in advance to attract people, and you're not making money, then there is no need for a licence for your music or entertainment.

NB You can have unamplified live music anywhere without needing a licence between 08:00 and 23.00 any day.

More Information about when entertainment needs a licence can be found here.


You will not need a licence or registration to provide food at your party or event if the event is a small local community not for profit event where the food is being provided or brought along by the residents. You can get advice on hosting a street party safely on the Food Standards Agency’s website, or, for bigger events, you can contact our food team for further advice 01453 754478

Trading stalls

If you are going to have stalls selling food or other items, you will not need street trading consent unless you are setting up the stalls on Highways land (i.e. the street, pavement or kerbside) or private land that the general public are being allowed access to without payment. Contact the licensing team on or ring them on 01453 754440 for more advice


You will not need any permission to run a tombola/raffle provided tickets are sold on the day of your event. Proceeds from the tombola/raffle must go to a good cause such as a charity or covering the cost of your party.  

For more information see our webpage for lottery registrations


If you want to fix bunting to any street lighting you must get permission from the street lighting team at Gloucestershire County Council. They will only accept requests for lightweight bunting, which is not strengthened or supported by a catenary wire. It can only be fixed to street lights that are 'clean'. 'Clean' means where the column supporting the street light has no other existing attachments or signs etc. The bunting can only stay up for the purpose of the Coronation event and must be taken down by the event organisers immediately afterwards. To make a request, email the street lighting team on and include details of the location for the bunting, how it will be affixed to the street light columns and confirm that you have undertaken a survey and the columns to be used are 'clean'. Please note that if you do not get permission first your bunting may be removed and you may be charged a cost.

Health and safety

Health and safety law will not apply to most street parties organised by volunteers so you will not need to undertake a formal risk assessment but it is a good idea, when planning your event, to think about risks and tell the people involved how you plan to control them. The Health and Safety Executive  web site has some useful information and examples you can use.

Public liability insurance

There is no law that says you must buy insurance for a voluntary or community event but you might want to make sure you are covered in case something goes wrong and someone makes a claim against you. 

It is recommended that you take out adequate Public Liability Insurance (PLI) if you decide to put on an activity that could cause harm to someone such as operating a barbeque or hiring in devices such as a bouncy castle or children's amusement rides


Fireworks can cause great distress to pets and animals in the area. We discourage the use of fireworks especially those that have loud bangs or are very noisy.
See here for advice on letting off fireworks


Is your event likely to create lots of noise such as loud music? It's courteous to let neighbours and businesses in the area know what your plans are in advance of the event. Leave a phone number with them so they can call you if they have any questions or concerns. Also, be aware that between the hours of 23:00 and 07:00 people should be able to sleep without disturbance and any excessive noise during those hours is likely to be considered unreasonable. See here for further advice.

Sky lanterns

Sky lanterns can cause serious injury to animals so we discourage their use. See here for  advice in respect of sky lanterns.

Waste disposal

We recommend that you have some bins in place at your event to keep the area tidy. Also, ask people to help clean up after and have bin bags available. The organiser will ultimately be responsible for clearing all litter, waste and equipment from the street or outdoor area at the end of the event.

Waste from community events, organised by residents and attended by residents, can be treated as household waste. Please take the waste home, recycle where possible and it will be collected on the normal waste collection day.

If you are having a larger event which is open to the general public, and/or you are having commercial traders, you will need to arrange a commercial waste collection or the traders will need to dispose of waste through their normal commercial waste arrangements.

National Lottery funding

Funding is available of up to £10,000 for events and activities through the National Lottery Awards for All programme.
National Lottery Awards for All does not have a deadline, but it can take up to 12 weeks from the point of application submission to receiving funding, which means applications for the Coronation weekend should be made before the middle of February. All funding criteria and terms and conditions are here.

Useful contact details

Licensing Team 01453 754440

Food and Health and Safety Team 01453 754478

Environmental Protection Team (Noise and Nuisance) 01453 754478

Road Closures Team   01453 766321


Share this page