By-election nominations open for Stroud District Council seat
Published: Friday, 25 January, 2019
Nominations for a by-election for a Stroud District Council seat open today.
Voters are expected to go to the polls on Thursday, February 28 in Berkeley Vale, where there is a vacancy following the sad passing of Councillor Penny Wride.
The period for potential candidates to submit nomination papers opens today (Friday, January 25) and closes at 4pm on Friday, February 1.
There is also a vacancy on Stonehouse Town Council. If the election is contested, it will be on Thursday, February 28.
In order to vote you must be registered by midnight on Tuesday, February 12.
You can check if you are registered by calling our Helpline on 01453 754886 or you can go online to www.gov.uk/register-to-vote with your national insurance number.
How to vote
There are three ways of voting:
- In person on Thursday, February 28 at your local polling station.
- You will receive a poll card confirming your polling station for this election.
- Polling stations are open from 7am to 10pm.
- If you have a postal vote already, you will receive a poll card confirming this.
- If you want to vote by post, you will need to complete an application form and send it to the Electoral Registration Officer to arrive by 5pm on Wednesday, February 13 at the address below.
- You should receive your postal vote approximately 10 days before polling day. If it doesn’t arrive in time, you can ask for a replacement up to 5pm on Thursday 28 February by contacting our helpline 01453 754886.
- If you have a proxy vote already, you will receive a poll card confirming this.
- If you can’t get to the polling station and don’t wish to vote by post, you may be able to vote by proxy. This means allowing somebody that you trust to vote on your behalf.
- If you want to vote by proxy, you will need to complete an application form and send it to the address below to arrive by 5pm on Wednesday, February 20 at the address below.
- Postal and proxy vote application forms are available from Stroud District Council’s website at: www.stroud.gov.uk/elections or you can call our helpline on 01453 754886 or email email@example.com to request an application form.