20 fantastic half term activities for children to enjoy
Published: Tuesday, 16 October, 2018
Half term is less than a week away for most schools, and for parents and children looking for something to do, Stroud District Council attractions have lined up a wide range of activities.
From a ninja wipeout assault course to go-karting to a comic book workshop, there is plenty being laid on, and more.
The Museum in the Park and Stratford Park Leisure Centre in Stroud, and The Pulse in Dursley will have something to suit everyone – find out more at
or take a look through the list below.
Museum in the Park
1. Half Term Bat Trail - Saturday 20 to Sunday 28 October, free-of-charge. Bats have always lived in the mansion house which is now the Museum, sometimes even flying through the corridors at night. See if you can spot all the bats hidden around the rooms, then claim your special sticker reward.
2. Big Draw Day at the Museum - Sunday, October 21, 11am - 4pm, free-of-charge. Plant the seed of an idea and grow yourself a drawing! The Museum in the Park is full of wonders, each with a story to tell, each with an illustration waiting to happen. This year for our Big Draw, joined by artist and illustrator Imogen Harvey-Lewis, we invite you to explore the story lines of some of the Museum’s special collection. Use your imagination and from one small seed of an idea, Imogen will help inspire you to grow yourself a drawing. This free event is open to all – all materials provided, just drop in for as little or as long as you like. Explore the Museum galleries then walk through the beautiful Walled Garden and be inspired.
3. The Big Draw. Drop-in Family Workshop: Make a Mini-Book Tuesday 23 - Thursday 25 October, 10.30am to 3.30pm, £1. Help us get ready for Stroud Book Festival! Have fun making your very own mini zig zag book, complete with a colourful cover. Then decide what you’ll put inside – jokes, dreams, stories or secrets? A family drop in workshop for families with children aged 5 and above.
4. Comic Book Workshop with Hannah Shaw
Friday 26 October, 10.30am to 3.30pm, £25 (siblings get £5 off)
Come along and make a comic book in a day with Stroud’s super-talented, professional illustrator, Hannah Shaw. Create a comic character, then develop a story and make a mini comic to take home. A fantastic opportunity for children aged 8 to 12, all materials provided but please bring a packed lunch. Booking necessary, please call on 01453 763 394.
Stratford Park Leisure Centre, Stroud
5. Skating – Family skating on Saturdays, 1.30pm to 3pm, plus an extra session from 1pm to 3pm on Tuesday, October 23. £3 for adults, £2.75 for children, £2.75 skate hire. Booking advisable on 01453 766771.
6. Intensive swimming lessons, Monday to Friday. £26.75 per child.
7. Wet and wild inflatable fun in the pool, Monday to Friday, 1pm to 2pm. Saturdays 1.15pm to 2.15pm, Sundays 3pm to 4pm.
8. Halloween Roller Skating Disco, Saturday, October 27, 7pm to 9pm, £4 per person.
9. Pre-school gymnastic taster sessions, Tuesdays from 9.45am for two-year-olds, 10.35am for three-year-olds, 11.25am for pre-school children. Thursdays from 1.45pm for ages two to five. £5.85 per child.
10. Pre-school trampolining taster sessions, Wednesdays 1.15pm to 2pm. £5.85 per child.
The Pulse, Dursley
11. Fun and games day
Tuesday, October 23, 9am to 4pm, £20 for children aged five to 12. A fun-filled day involving a variety of sports, team games, and relays. A water session is included, so please bring swimming kit.
12. Multi-sports day
Wednesday, October 24, 9am to 4pm, £20 for children aged five to 12. Football, netball, table tennis, kurling (curling not on ice), benchball and pool activities.
13. Pulse wipeout
Thursday, October 25, 9am to 4pm, £20 for children aged five to 12. A high octane day for all those mini ninja warriors. There will be obstacle courses, challenges and a swim session with the Pulse Twin Track.
14. Halloween Dance Workshop
Thursday, October 25, 2pm to 4pm, £6 for children aged five to 12. A spooktacular dance workshop perfect for little monsters! Street dance, musical theatre and jazz routines will be covered by an instructor who will teach two dance routines which will be performed to parents at the end.
15. Submarine and Stepping Stones Inflatable Fun
Monday, October 22, 1.30pm to 2.55pm. Two 40 minute sessions starting at 1.30pm and 2.15pm.
16. Inflatable Fun
Tuesday, October 23, 1.40pm to 2.20pm. Splatt, floats, rafts and mini inflatable fun.
17. Twin Track Inflatable Fun
Wednesday, October 24, 2.00pm to 3.25pm. Two x 40 minute sessions starting at 2pm and 2.45pm.
18. Aqua Glide Inflatable Fun
Thursday, October 25. 2.00pm to 3.25pm.Two 40 minute sessions starting at 2.00pm and 2.45pm.
19. Slippery Slide Inflatable Fun
Friday, October 26, 1.40pm to 2.20pm.
20. Inflatable Fun
Saturday, October 27, 1.45pm to 3.10pm. Two 40 minute sessions starting at 1.45pm and 2.30pm.
All Pulse pool activities listed here are £4.40 for adults and £2.60 for children.