Information for landlords
The Fit to Rent scheme aims to encourage good practice in the private rented market by giving approval to landlords and lettings that meet the property standard and a management code of practice.
Property accreditation - Fit to rent
"Fit to Rent" rewards landlords by offering financial benefits and giving landlords the recognition needed to excel in the lettings market. Landlords can benefit from the following incentives:
- A badge of quality and professionalism in the Gloucestershire lettings market.
- Accredited property recognised and listed on the the Gloucestershire Landlords' website.
- Access to Councils' Bond and Rent Deposit Schemes
- Free regular Newsletter, advice and information including a free Landlords handbook.
- Invitation to occasional training events or meetings.
- A range of offers and discounts from local businesses.
Depending on circumstances the Council can provide you with a bond in the form of a guarantee for your tenant's deposit on receipt of a signed inventory. This is not a cash deposit. This means that if your property is damaged you can submit a claim to the Council before the end of the tenancy. The bond does not cover normal wear and tear or rent arrears and has a maximum value of one months rent. Bonds are valid for 12 months from the start of the tenancy but are renewable subject to conditions.
Your tenant must be over 35 if they are single, over 18 if they are a couple or over 18 with at least one dependant child to be eligible for the scheme. In addition they must qualify for Housing Benefit, be seeking privately rented accommodation in the Stroud District Council area and you must have obtained a Fit to Rent Award for your property or be willing to apply for one.
This page was last updated: 1 week ago