Applying for a transfer

Housing advice service

Due to the current situation, we are having to prioritise our housing advice service to respond to contacts from those who are currently homeless/imminently threatened with homelessness only.

If you attempt to contact us in relation to your Homeseekerplus application, banding decisions, or you require general housing advice there is likely to be a substantial delay in response. Up-to-date information will be made available at and the ‘Help’ section may provide you with answers to any queries you may have.

We do appreciate your patience at this difficult time.

If you are an existing social tenant in Gloucester and you would like to move home, you can;

The Homeswapper service is a user-friendly and free way of finding a home to exchange not just locally but throughout the United Kingdom. Stroud tenants do not pay for this service as we are members of the scheme.

If you find a home transfer, mutual exchange or swap you will still need our agreement. You will also need to pay for the Landlord safety checks and any costs involved in your move.

What if my new landlord is not Stroud District Council?

If you want to exchange your tenancy for a property owned by another Local Authority, or by a Housing Association, we will only allow you to exchange if:

  • you and the other tenant apply to your Landlords;
  • the Landlords exchange reports on their tenants conduct;
  • both Landlords agree to the exchange

You must accept the exchanged property in the condition you find it

As the choice to move is that of the two parties exchanging homes, then a condition of us agreeing to the exchange is that you, or the incoming tenant, will accept the property in its condition at the time of the exchange.

We will not pay any costs involved in moving and redecorating.


Share this page

We use cookies to improve user experience. If you continue, we will assume you are happy to accept cookies from this website. Continue