skip to main content

Apply for Council housing

Stroud District Council is part of the Gloucestershire Homeseekerplus Scheme – a choice based lettings scheme – which is a system for letting social housing that is designed to offer more choice and participation for applicants in selecting a new social rented home.

Renting a Council home and moving

If you would like to apply for social rented housing in Gloucestershire, please register with Gloucestershire Homeseekerplus by completing an online application at:


Properties will be advertised every Wednesday for one week. To make sure that you are able to bid, you should register as soon as possible to allow time for your application to be checked and made active.

Applying for a transfer

If you are an existing social tenant in Gloucester and you would like to move home, you can;

The Homeswapper service is a user-friendly and free way of finding a home to exchange not just locally but throughout the United Kingdom. Stroud tenants do not pay for this service as we are members of the scheme.

If you find a home transfer, mutual exchange or swap you will still need our agreement. You will also need to pay for the Landlord safety checks and any costs involved in your move.

What if my new landlord is not Stroud District Council?

If you want to exchange your tenancy for a property owned by another Local Authority, or by a Housing Association, we will only allow you to exchange if:

  • you and the other tenant apply to your Landlords;
  • the Landlords exchange reports on their tenants conduct;
  • both Landlords agree to the exchange

You must accept the exchanged property in the condition you find it

As the choice to move is that of the two parties exchanging homes, then a condition of us agreeing to the exchange is that you, or the incoming tenant, will accept the property in its condition at the time of the exchange.

We will not pay any costs involved in moving and redecorating.

This page was last updated: 2 days ago

Share this page