In certain cases of anti-social behaviour and neighbour disputes, we will use an independent mediation service to empower people to work together to resolve their problems. Solutions are proposed by the parties themselves, enabling them to remain in control of any outcomes. Resolutions are only created if all parties are in full agreement. Although agreements made are not legally binding, parties are more likely to adhere to them because they have created them themselves.
Some of the indicators which might suggest that mediation is ideal are:
- Parties seem to be misinterpreting each other's behaviour
- Parties used to be friends
- Parties have never properly met
- There is alleged discrimination between parties; for example based on race, sexuality, gender, age.
- Parties have different lifestyles
Your Housing Officer will discuss with you whether or not your complaint or dispute should be referred to a mediation service.