Skip to content

Anti-social behaviour

Actions which interfere with an individual’s peace, enjoyment and comfort are treated as anti-social behaviour.

We expect all our tenants to show consideration for their neighbours and the area they live in, by:

  • Treating others with respect and not using abusive or threatening language
  • Not causing excessive noise, for example by playing loud music
  • Disposing of their rubbish correctly and not leaving it anywhere in the neighbourhood
  • Keeping any pets under control

Our tenancy agreements hold tenants responsible for their own behaviour and that of anyone living with them or visiting their home. 

Anti-Social Behaviour leaflet

EASY READ booklet about Anti-Social Behaviour in your house or flat 

Information for people in conflict leaflet

EASY READ Information - Conversations to repair harm

Conversations to repair harm

More information can be found on the Restorative Gloucestershire website 

We categorise anti-social behaviour as either serious or minor.

Examples of high-risk forms of anti-social behaviour include but are not limited to:

  • threat to life
  • assault
  • Hate crime
  • Safeguarding matters including child neglect

While general forms can include 

  • graffiti and other forms of vandalism and damage
  • animal nuisance (fouling, pets out of control)
  • fly-tipping
  • littering

and more.

You can report an instance of Anti-social Behaviour on the following link:

Report antisocial behaviour

Out of hours reporting of anti-social behaviour 

If you would like to report ASB and our offices are closed, you can call our out-of-hours Anti-social Behaviour Hotline on 0800 075 6699.

When you report an incident to us, we will:

  • respond within five working days or if it is a high risk within 24 hours*
  • meet you where you feel most safe
  • respect confidentiality
  • carry out a thorough investigation
  • be clear about what we can and can’t do
  • agree on a way forward together (an action plan)
  • keep you up-to-date with what’s happening
  • provide support throughout the process

* or the next working day if the incident is reported on a Friday or a Bank Holiday. 
For more details, see our Anti-Social Behaviour policy

Do keep in mind that a good neighbour needs to be reasonably tolerant and understanding of other peoples’ comfort, lifestyle and needs, however.  Before complaining consider whether it is a question of lifestyle and whether your reaction is reasonable by discussing this with a member of your family or your Housing Officer who might help you in deciding this.

Depending on the type and severity of anti-social behaviour there are a range of things we can do:

  • Arrange for the installation of noise monitoring equipment
  • Provide observation sheets to record incidents
  • Remove any offensive or abusive, obscene or threatening graffiti
  • Offer you security improvements if your personal safety is at serious risk
  • Investigate temporary accommodation for you if it is not possible for you to remain or return to your home
  • Identify with you any other support needs you may have and discuss how these might be addressed
  • Provide you with suitable support where required including before and at court
  • Refer you to Victim Support, should you require it

We recognise that domestic abuse can be a terrifying experience and will work with you and all relevant agencies, including the police.  If you need help please contact your Housing Officer.

If you wish to stay in your home we can help by installing extra security measures.  On the other hand, if you are too afraid to stay then we will investigate suitable temporary accommodation.

You can get practical help and advice from the Stroud Beresford Group at

Other useful contacts and information can be found on Stroud District Council’s web page Domestic abuse and sexual violence and I am experiencing domestic violence

There is also a free and confidential National Domestic Violence Helpline run by Women's Aid and Refuge.  It's available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Tel. 0808 2000 247 

More useful information and contacts

Women's Aid





If you are the subject of any complaint, we will:

  • Speak with you within 10 working days of the complaint being made*
  • inform you of any allegations against you and listen to your response
  • Should we uphold the complaint, give you the opportunity, to rectify your behaviour and get support*
  • Discuss options such as an Acceptable Behaviour Contract, mediation or other options, before taking legal action
  • Write to you and give notice of any legal action we will take, with reasons
  • Advise you of the likely outcome if the case is proven

*Except where there is violence or the threat of violence involved, in which case we will consider taking immediate legal action without notice.

If there is sufficient evidence of serious or persistent anti-social behaviour, we will take the case to court in order to evict you.

In certain cases of anti-social behaviour and neighbour disputes, we will use an independent mediation service to empower people to work together to resolve their problems.  Solutions are proposed by the parties themselves, enabling them to remain in control of any outcomes.  Resolutions are only created if all parties are in full agreement.   Although agreements made are not legally binding, parties are more likely to adhere to them because they have created them themselves.

Some of the indicators which might suggest that mediation is ideal are:

  • Parties seem to be misinterpreting each other's behaviour
  • Parties used to be friends
  • Parties have never properly met
  • There is alleged discrimination between parties; for example based on race, sexuality, gender, age.
  • Parties have different lifestyles

Your Housing Officer will discuss with you whether or not your complaint or dispute should be referred to a mediation service.

Share this page