What happens at sign up?
If you accept an offer, your Neighbourhood Management Officer (NMO) will carry out a sign up with you.
Your 'sign up' will usually take place at Ebley Mill council offices. At 'sign up' your NMO will:
- give you a tenant sign-up pack and go through it with you
- explain your rights and what is expected of you as a tenant
- introduce you to our online service, Tenants Online
- give you information about local tenant groups and tenant representation
- introduce you to online information about being a tenant
- tell you about council services such as refuse and recycling collections
- request a month's rent and agree a method of future rent payments
- hand over the keys*
Your Tenancy agreement is a legal contract between you (the tenant) and Stroud District Council (your landlord). It sets out your rights and responsibilities as a tenant and our responsibilities as landlord.
We strongly advise that you have spare keys cut and leave them with a relative or friend who you trust. We do not keep spare sets of keys so if you lock yourself out and have no spare key, you will need to call and pay for a locksmith.
The first 12 months
Unless you are already a secure tenant, you will have an introductory tenancy agreement for the first 12 months. Introductory tenants don't have all the rights of a secure tenant, and could be evicted more quickly and easily if you break your tenancy agreement.
Six week visit
Four to six weeks into a new tenancy, your Neighbourhood Management Officer will contact you to check that you have settled in well
View housing rent for more information and ways to pay.