New Complaint Handling Code
Published: Wednesday, 16 December, 2020
The Housing Ombudsman has recently published a new Complaint Handling Code. The purpose of this Code is to enable landlords to resolve complaints, raised by their residents, quickly and to use the learning from complaints to drive service improvements.
Key areas within the code include:
- Providing a universal definition of a complaint
- Providing easy access to the complaints procedure and ensuring residents are aware of it, including their right to access the Housing Ombudsman Service
- The structure of the complaints procedure and clear timeframes set out for responses
- Ensuring fairness in complaint handling, with a resident-focussed process
- Taking action to put things right and appropriate remedies
- Creating a positive complaint handling culture through continuous learning and improvement
- Demonstrating learning in annual reports.
A copy of our self-assessment can be found here.
You can read a full copy of the Complaint Handing Code at:
For information on Complaint Handling Failure Orders, visit:
For other useful information, please visit the Housing Ombudsman’s website at: