Compensation for home improvements

The right to compensation for improvements

To qualify for compensation for improvements you must make a claim in writing, detailing the improvement and its original cost (providing invoices) and demonstrate that:

  • the work was done after 1st April 1994
  • you held the secure tenancy of the property at the time the work was undertaken
  • you obtained the Council's written consent prior to carrying out the improvement and the work currently meets any conditions imposed on that consent
  • you submit your claim within the 28 day period before the end of your tenancy or 14 days after the termination of your tenancy
  • your tenancy did not end as a result of an eviction or Right to Buy application
  • you have invoices for work done which includes the costs of labour and materials
  • that your claim is for less than £3,000 per improvement and more than £50
  • the work is listed as a 'Qualifying improvement' and there is a formula for the calculation of compensation.  For further information check our Compensation Policy and Procedure

Share this page

We use cookies to improve user experience. If you continue, we will assume you are happy to accept cookies from this website. Continue