Home improvements

With our permission, you have the right to carry out improvements to your home if you are a secure tenant. You must not start any improvements until we have given you written permission.

Before carrying out any work you must apply in writing to your Neighbourhood Management Officer.  You must provide details of the alteration, with detailed plans and specifications where necessary.  In some circumstances, a repairs officer will visit to discuss your request.

You will also need to satisfy planning and building regulations.

We will not turn down applications for improvements without good reason.

When considering each application we take into account whether the improvement could:

  • be non-compliant with legislation
  • unduly expensive to maintain
  • make the property difficult to let in future
  • Be unsuitable to possible future tenants

We will write to you within one calendar month to let you know whether or not we give consent for you to carry out an improvement to your home.  If we grant consent we may specify certain requirements and restrictions.

You will be responsible for the cost of any repairs required as a result of faulty installation, poor workmanship or defective materials.  You will also be responsible for the maintenance of alterations or improvements you have carried out.

When your tenancy ends, work must be left or restored to the original condition.

The right to compensation for improvements

To qualify for compensation for improvements you must make a claim in writing, detailing the improvement and its original cost (providing invoices) and demonstrate that:

  • the work was done after 1st April 1994
  • you held the secure tenancy of the property at the time the work was undertaken
  • you obtained the Council's written consent prior to carrying out the improvement and the work currently meets any conditions imposed on that consent
  • you submit your claim within the 28 day period before the end of your tenancy or 14 days after the termination of your tenancy
  • your tenancy did not end as a result of an eviction or Right to Buy application
  • you have invoices for work done which includes the costs of labour and materials
  • that your claim is for less than £3,000 per improvement and more than £50
  • the work is listed as a 'Qualifying improvement' and there is a formula for the calculation of compensation.  For further information check our Compensation Policy and Procedure

Share this page

We use cookies to improve user experience. If you continue, we will assume you are happy to accept cookies from this website. Continue