Aids and adaptations

We have a number of homes with disabled adaptations. We also have an annual budget which is used to fund home adaptation work for existing tenants.

If you, or a member of your family, are having difficulty getting around your home due to a physical disability, sensory impairment or old age, you can request an occupational therapy (OT) assessment to asses your needs.

Firstly, you need to arrange an OT assessment through Gloucestershire County Council by making an application using their eform.   An OT assessment may result in them suggesting different techniques, advice or the provision of equipment or adaptations to enable you to live independently.

If an OT assessment recommends that work needs to be done to your home, they will send us a report so that we can take into account whether the extent of the work is reasonable and practical using the following criteria:

  • whether the type(s) of adaptations are appropriate to the architecture and structure of the property
  • conservation and planning constraints
  • potential limitations to existing facilities or amenities for other household members

Application approved
If we approve the Occupational Therapist's assessment we will write to you within 28 days of receiving their report, outlining the work we will carry out and estimated start date. 

The list of applications for adaptations will be worked through in date order unless there are exceptional circumstances (see Repairs and Planned Maintenance policy). 
Where the work required could potentially cost more than £1,000, we will require a completed means testing assessment from the applicant.

Application refused

Where we consider that it is not reasonable and practicable to undertake an adaptation to a property, we will write to you within 28 days of the decision being made. In addition, we will visit you to discuss other housing options that are available and will meet your needs.  This could include applying for a transfer to a more suitable property that is easier to adapt such as ground floor accommodation, a bungalow or sheltered housing.

For more details see our Aids & Adaptations policy

Share this page

We use cookies to improve user experience. If you continue, we will assume you are happy to accept cookies from this website. Continue