New gas appliances, supply and meters

Fitting a new gas appliance

If you want to fit a new gas cooker into your home, you must get written permission from us first.

If permission is given you will need to do the following:

  • The new appliance must be installed by a Gas Safety registered engineer.  Visit the Gas Safe Register website for details
  • appliances must be installed according to the manufacturer’s instructions  and the current Gas Safety (installation and use) regulations
  • It is important that airbricks and other ventilation are not blocked or obstructed in anyway.
  • The appliance must be inspected as part of our gas servicing programme

Gas supply and Gas meters

If you want to arrange a new gas supply, you must get permission from the Council before contacting the supplier, unless we are installing the gas heating for you.

If you have a problem with your gas meter you will need to contact your energy supplier.

To find out who your gas supplier is, call the Meter Point Administration Service on 0870 608 1524 (calls cost 7p/min plus your network access fee).  They may ask you for the serial number located on your meter. 



Share this page

We use cookies to improve user experience. If you continue, we will assume you are happy to accept cookies from this website. Continue