Local housing allowance rates
Change in contact hours
We will be unavailable by telephone on Thursdays from 06/06/2019 due to staff training. You can leave a voicemail for us to call you back the next day or email enquiries to us at email@example.com and put your claim number in the subject line.
From 17/06/2019 meetings with benefit assessors will be by appointment only. You can leave any documents with Reception staff during Council opening times.
Local Housing Allowance (LHA) is a housing benefit scheme for people who rent their homes from a private landlord, who are on a low income and need help to pay their rent.
Local housing allowance (LHA) is a housing benefit scheme for people who rent their homes from a private landlord, who are on a low income and need help to pay their rent. The local housing allowance rates are based on the number of bedrooms you and anyone else who lives with you on a permanent basis needs under the benefit regulations, up to a maximum of 4 bedrooms (see below). If you are single and under 35 you are only entitled to the lowest (shared) rate. Local housing allowance will be paid direct to you rather than your landlord, unless you have exceptional circumstances, or you can demonstrate that you have tried to negotiate a new rent with your landlord.
Categories of Dwelling
- Cat (A) Shared accommodation and single people under 35 years old
- Cat (B) One bedroom with exclusive use of kitchen, bathroom, toilet and living room
- Cat (C) Two bedrooms
- Cat (D) Three bedrooms
- Cat (E) Four bedrooms
The Size Criteria
- One bedroom is allowed for each lone parent or couple (married or unmarried)
- One bedroom is allowed for each other person aged 16 or more
- One additional bedroom is allowed for an overnight carer (as long as there is an extra bedroom for them and they meet the relevant criteria)
- Two children of the same sex aged under 16 are expected to share a bedroom.
- Two children aged under 10 are expected to share a room regardless of sex
- Any other child, a bedroom.
Local Housing Allowances for April 2019
|Cat (A)||£70.23 per week||£304.33 per calendar month|
|Cat (B)||£92.05 per week||£398.88 per calendar month|
|Cat (C)||£126.03 per week||£546.13 per calendar month|
|Cat (D)||£151.54 per week||£656.67 per calendar month|
|Cat (E)||£192.75 per week||£835.25 per calendar month|
Please note that these rates are now in effect until 31/03/20