Frequently Asked Questions

Change in contact hours

We are unavailable by telephone on Thursdays. You can leave a voicemail for us to call you back the next day or email enquiries to us at and put your claim number in the subject line.

Meetings with benefit assessors are by appointment only.  You can leave any documents with Reception staff during Council opening times.

Please note that you can contact us by phone on 01453 754054 Monday to Wednesday 8:45am to 5:00pm and Friday 8:45am to 4:30pm. You can email us at and put your claim number in the subject line. You can make an appointment to see a benefits advisor by phone or email. You can leave any documents with Reception staff.

What is the best way to get information to/from the Benefit department?

You can send information by:

  1. Email to and put Claim Ref and your claim number in the subject line
  2. Phone 01453 754054 and have your claim number or national insurance number to hand
  3. Drop documents off with Reception staff to forward to us
  4. By post to Ebley Mill, Ebley Wharf, Stroud, GL5 4UB
  5. Make an appointment to see us

How long will it take to deal with my benefit / DHP claim?

We aim to deal with claims within 28 days. All items of work are dealt with in date order to make it as fair as we can. It may take longer than 28 days to deal with your claim if we have a larger than usual volume of work to cope with.

When will I get paid?

We pay by BACS and this takes 3 working days to clear from the date we send the money.

  1. If you pay your rent monthly, we will pay you (or your landlord if rent is paid to your landlord) on the last working day of every month
  2. If you pay your rent weekly, we will pay you fortnightly
  3. If you pay your rent weekly and we pay your landlord, we will pay them every four weeks

What changes do I have to tell you about if I am on Universal Credit or Pension Credit?  You will need to tell us about:

  1. household changes, e.g. if someone moves in or out and what income that person has
  2. if you no longer receive child benefit for a child, we need to know what they are doing and what their income is

How much rent do I have to pay?

You will need to contact your landlord for this. We can only tell you how much benefit we pay you, and this will not take into account any rent arrears or shortfall in your rent that HB does not cover.

How much Council Tax do I have to pay?

Check your last bill for your instalments, or contact the Council Tax department on 01453 754865.






Share this page

We use cookies to improve user experience. If you continue, we will assume you are happy to accept cookies from this website. Continue