DWP benefit cap

Benefits News

The Benefits department are dealing with an increased volume of enquiries and claims and this is causing unavoidable delays.  Please do not visit the Council. Request/send in information by email at benefit.services@stroud.gov.uk - put "Claim Ref" and your claim number in the subject line, e.g Claim Ref 12345 - or send by post.

Visit the Housing Benefit page to see if you claim help with your rent from us or Universal Credit.  Visit the Council Tax Support page to see how to claim help with your Council Tax. Visit the Universal Credit page for advice about UC and how to claim.

If you have to visit us because you can't email us you can leave any documents in a sealed envelope with your name and address in the post box outside to the right of the entrance.

The benefit cap is directly notified by the Department for Work and Pensions and affects the total amount of benefit a household can receive.

The benefit cap first came into force on 15th July 2013. It was extended on 7th November 2016 with new limits on the total amount of benefits that working age people can claim.

The current weekly cap means that the maximum amount of benefit (including housing benefit) a household can receive is:

  • £384.62 per week for lone parents and couples; this equates to £20,000 per year
  • £257.69 per week for single persons; this equates to £13,400 per year

There are exemptions to those who can be affected by the benefit cap as follows:

  • Pensioners
  • Those who receive Working Tax Credits
  • Those who have an in-work exemption if claiming universal credit
  • Those households who have disability benefits, i.e. disability living allowance, personal independence payments, attendance allowance, support component of employment and support allowance, industrial injuries benefits
  • Those who receive war widows' or war widowers' pension.
  • From 07/11/2017 those who receive Carer's Allowance or Guardian's Allowance.

You can find more information at benefit cap.

If you are struggling to pay your rent as a result of the benefit cap you can claim Discretionary Housing Benefit (DHP) to see if you qualify for a discretionary top-up to help you manage.  You can find the form on our HB page or email us at benefit.services@stroud.gov.uk and we will send you one.




Share this page

We use cookies to improve user experience. If you continue, we will assume you are happy to accept cookies from this website. Continue