Council tax support

Change in contact hours

We are unavailable by telephone on Thursdays. You can leave a voicemail for us to call you back the next day or email enquiries to us at and put your claim number in the subject line.

Meetings with benefit assessors are by appointment only.  You can leave any documents with Reception staff during Council opening times.

Council tax support is financial assistance available to low income households to help you pay your council tax.

Who is eligible?

To claim council tax support you must be the person responsible for paying the council tax or the partner of that person. If you are a couple only one of you needs to make a claim.  You may also claim "second adult rebate" if the second adult in the property (NOT a partner) is on a low income.

The following groups of people are not eligible:

  • anyone who has capital (savings, investments) over £16,000
  • most full-time students - if a student is not entitled to council tax support, but they have a partner who is not a student, the partner may be able to submit a claim

To find out if you qualify please use the benefit calculators. The results are approximate and are designed to give you an idea of how much you should expect to pay towards your council tax.

How to apply for council tax support

  1. To claim council tax support you must complete the online benefits calculator form and make a note of the claim reference number and the financial estimate you receive.

Once you have received a reference, complete the following form. 

Share this page

We use cookies to improve user experience. If you continue, we will assume you are happy to accept cookies from this website. Continue