Benefit calculators

Benefits News

The Benefits department are dealing with an increased volume of enquiries and claims and this is causing unavoidable delays.  Please do not visit the Council. Request/send in information by email at - put "Claim Ref" and your claim number in the subject line, e.g Claim Ref 12345 - or send by post.

Visit the Housing Benefit page to see if you claim help with your rent from us or Universal Credit.  Visit the Council Tax Support page to see how to claim help with your Council Tax. Visit the Universal Credit page for advice about UC and how to claim.

If you have to visit us because you can't email us you can leave any documents in a sealed envelope with your name and address in the post box outside to the right of the entrance.

The below calculators are free to use, anonymous, and have replaced the Benefits Adviser service.

Please note that if you have over £16,000 in savings or capital assets you will not be entitled to housing benefit or council tax support.  Further, if you are making a new claim for benefit, you will need to claim Universal Credit for help with your rent unless you are in an exempt group, but see our Housing Benefit page for details.

Use an independent benefits calculator to find out:

  • what benefits you could get
  • how to claim
  • how your benefits will be affected if you start work


Use one of the following:

  • Turn2us - for information on income-related benefits, tax credits, Council Tax Reduction, Carer’s Allowance, Universal Credit and how your benefits will be affected if you start work or change your working hours

What you’ll need

You’ll need accurate information about your:

  • savings 

  • income, including your partner’s (e.g. from payslips)
  • existing benefits and pensions (including anyone living with you) 

  • outgoings (e.g. rent, childcare payments) 

  • council tax bill

Share this page

We use cookies to improve user experience. If you continue, we will assume you are happy to accept cookies from this website. Continue