Brimscombe Port redevelopment plans
Brimscombe Port is a former inland port dating back to the 1780s which became redundant after the era of the canals as a mode of transport came to an end. It was filled in after the Second World War and developed as an industrial site, and was earmarked as in need of significant regeneration by Stroud District Council.
Due to the high infrastructure costs, the scheme requires public funding. We were successful in securing £2m from Homes England in 2015 which we have match funded and have recently secured a further £776k through another successful bid for grant funding through One Public Estate for the Land Release Fund. Together these contributions will enable a developer partner to be selected to create a unique waterside attraction.
The Output Specification for Brimscombe Port was approved by Strategy and Resources Committee at its meeting on the 11 July 2019. This document sets out the Council’s vision for the redevelopment of the port and its aspirations and objectives with regard to design, site and developer partner requirements and provides information about the site and its existing condition.
The document is a result of all the feedback received by the Council following its public consultation event in December 2018 and following extensive consultation with key stakeholders including the Parish Council, Stroud Valleys Canal Company and Homes England and a wide range of officers and members from across the Council.
Planning approval for the infrastructure design including the new access road from the A419, the reinstatement of the canal, basin and road and bridge works and demolition of the buildings was granted on the 24 March 2021 together with Listed Building Consent to demolish the modern additions to the listed Mill building, which will remain. Once the Council has procured a developer partner, which is expected to be July 2022, a detailed application for the redevelopment of the site will be prepared and further public consultation will take place prior to an application being submitted.
You can download a copy of the Output Specification here. We would be happy to hear your views on the redevelopment, you can do this by completing the feedback section below.
Further information on the project can be found in the regular Information Sheets which can be found here together with a link to the Strategy and Resources Committee report below.
- Brimscombe Port Member/Officer Report 2 February 2023
- Brimscombe Port Member/Officer Report 24 November 2022
- Strategy and Resources 12 July 2022 (Item 8)
- Brimscombe Port Information Sheet 9 June 2022
- Strategy and Resources 10 March 2022 (SRC.71)
- Brimscombe Port Member/Officer Report 13 January 2022
- Brimscombe Port Information Sheet 25 November 2021
- Brimscombe Port Information Sheet 30 September 2021
- Appendix A Information Sheet 30 September 2021
- Strategy and Resources 10 June 2021 (Item 9)
- Strategy and Resources 10 June 2021 site plan
- Strategy and Resources 10 June 2021 infrastructure general arrangement drawing
- Strategy and Resources 10 June 2021 key milestones
- Strategy and Resources 4 March 2021 item 5
- Strategy and Resources 4 March 2021 procurement of a developer partner
- Brimscombe Port Information Sheet 1 Dec 2020
- Member-Officer Report - Brimscombe Port Sept 2020
- Information Sheet Brimscombe Port January 2020
- Strategy and Resources 17 December 2019 (Item 6)
- Timetable for approvals pre-procurement September 2019
- Information Sheet Brimscombe Port September 2019
- Strategy and Resources 11 July 2019 (Item 7)
- Information sheet June 2019
- Information sheet April 2019
- Agenda Strategy and Resources 4 October 2018
- Agenda Strategy and Resources 8 April 2018