Universal Credit and Council Tax support

Important information if you are in receipt of Universal Credit.

Universal Credit (full service) will start in our area on 4 October 2017 and will be assessed by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP).

How it works

Universal Credit will eventually replace 6 benefits and tax credits with a single monthly payment including housing benefit.  However, it does NOT include Council Tax support which will continue to be assessed by Stroud District Council.  If you are in receipt of Universal Credit you MUST make a separate claim to SDC to get help towards your Council Tax charge.

Please contact the Council Tax helpline on (01453) 754 865 to make us aware if you are making a claim for Universal Credit or if you are already in receipt of Universal Credit.

You can also watch a short video below, which guides you through how to make a claim.

Share this page

We use cookies to improve user experience. If you continue, we will assume you are happy to accept cookies from this website. Continue