skip to main content

Who is responsible for paying the Council Tax?

When deciding who to bill we have to take into consideration who is highest on the following list:

  1. Owner occupier (resident with a freehold interest in the property)
  2. Resident with a leasehold interest in the property
  3. Resident with a statutory or secure tenancy
  4. Resident with a contractual licence to occupy
  5. Resident
  6. Owner (if property is unoccupied)

In summary, if the owner lives at the property then we would bill them.  If the owner doesn't live at the property then we would bill the tenant.  If the property is occupied, but not by the owner or tenant we would bill the occupant and if the property is unoccupied we would bill the owner.

This page was last updated: 9 August 2017

Share this page