skip to main content

Council tax frequently asked questions

No, we would class your property as your partner's sole or main residence. However, if your partner is away on a tour of duty then s/he may receive a payment through their wages when they return.

If you have changed address within the same financial year then you will be issued with a page showing the liability and charge for each property and one statement page which shows the charge for each property, the payments you have made and your new payment plan.

There is no age related discount.  However, you may be entitled to Council tax support (which takes into consideration your income and any savings or capital you have).

When deciding who to bill we have to take into consideration who is highest on the following list:

  1. Owner occupier (resident with a freehold interest in the property)
  2. Resident with a leasehold interest in the property
  3. Resident with a statutory or secure tenancy
  4. Resident with a contractual licence to occupy
  5. Resident
  6. Owner (if property is unoccupied)

In summary, if the owner lives at the property then we would bill them.  If the owner doesn't live at the property then we would bill the tenant.  If the property is occupied, but not by the owner or tenant we would bill the occupant and if the property is unoccupied we would bill the owner.

It is important that the Council keeps up to date records.  We will periodically review your entitlement to any discount or exemption as your circumstances may have changed since you made the original claim.

You can find out how Council tax money is spent in our annual 'Your Guide' council tax booklet. 

Share this page

We use cookies to improve user experience. If you continue, we will assume you are happy to accept cookies from this website. Continue