Severely mentally impaired persons


We would like to ask at this difficult time that you email us with any queries rather than contact us by phone.  Please only phone us if you have an urgent query.

We understand that this is a difficult situation for everyone and appreciate your understanding regarding this matter.

If you contact us please quote your Council Tax reference number (which can be found on the right hand side of your bill and is an 8-digit number starting with 9) or your name and/or address.

If you are experiencing financial difficulties due to a drop in your income you may be entitled to Council Tax support.  Please click on the link for further information.

Universal Credit and Council Tax support

Please see below for further information about the COVID-19 Council Tax Hardship Fund.

***We have been made aware that there are a variety of scams associated with council tax refunds and discounts happening, both locally and nationally.

Any resident who receives an email or text about a council tax refund or discount which asks them to click a link and put in personal details, should be ignored and deleted. If in doubt this can be reported to***

You, or somebody who lives with you, might be entitled to a discount (or exemption) if you are classed as severely mentally impaired. The severely mentally impaired person will need to be in receipt of one of the qualifying benefits (and provide proof of the benefit) and will need to have our claim form completed by their doctor or medical practitioner.

Qualifying benefits

The severely mentally impaired (SMI) person needs to be in receipt of one of the following benefits:

  • invalidity pension
  • attendance allowance
  • severe disablement allowance
  • care component of the middle or high rate of disability living allowance
  • daily living component of the personal independence payment
  • an increase in the rate of disablement pension where constant attendance is needed
  • Disabled person's tax credit/disability working allowance
  • unemployability supplement
  • constant attendance allowance
  • Employment and support allowance (ESA)

How much discount can I receive?

If there is only one adult living at the property or if all the adults in the property are classed as SMI then they will receive a full exemption.  You will need to have an individual claim form completed for each person.

If there are two adults in the property and one of them is classed as SMI then you will be able to receive a 25% discount.

If there are three or more adults in the property and only one is classed as SMI then you will not be able to receive a discount.

How do I claim?

Please contact the Council tax helpline on 01453 754865 for a claim form or email quoting your Council tax account reference:

Share this page

We use cookies to improve user experience. If you continue, we will assume you are happy to accept cookies from this website. Continue