Disabled persons reduction


We would like to ask at this difficult time that you email us with any queries rather than contact us by phone.  Please only phone us if you have an urgent query.

We understand that this is a difficult situation for everyone and appreciate your understanding regarding this matter.

If you contact us please quote your Council Tax reference number (which can be found on the right hand side of your bill and is an 8-digit number starting with 9) or your name and/or address.

If you are experiencing financial difficulties due to a drop in your income you may be entitled to Council Tax support.  Please click on the link for further information.

Universal Credit and Council Tax support

Please see below for further information about the COVID-19 Council Tax Hardship Fund.

***We have been made aware that there are a variety of scams associated with council tax refunds and discounts happening, both locally and nationally.

Any resident who receives an email or text about a council tax refund or discount which asks them to click a link and put in personal details, should be ignored and deleted. If in doubt this can be reported to revenue.services@stroud.gov.uk***

You can get a reduction on your bill if you or someone in your home is ‘substantially and permanently disabled’ and one of the following applies. You (or they):

  • have a room (other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet) which is used to meet your/their needs e.g. for the purposes of dialysis, treatment or for the storage of equipment;
  • have an additional bathroom or kitchen required for the use of the disabled person; or
  • sufficient floor space to permit the use of a wheelchair which is required for meeting the needs of the disabled person in the home.  The wheelchair will not be classed as meeting the disabled person's needs if the person does not need to use it indoors.

If you qualify we will treat your property as if it is in the valuation band below, for example, if your property is in band C you will pay the council tax for a band B property.  You can still get a reduction if your property is in band A.

Disability reductions are available on all types of dwellings, including care homes and hostels.

How to apply

If you would like to apply for the disablement relief reduction please contact us to make an appointment for our Visiting Officer to visit your home. 

Tel: (01453) 754 865

Email: revenue.services@stroud.gov.uk

Tell us about a change

If you no longer qualify for a disabled persons reduction, please let us know by emailing revenue.services@stroud.gov.uk, phoning the council tax helpline (01453) 754 865 or write to us at the council, quoting your council tax account reference number and/or address.

You may have to pay a fine if you don’t tell us.



Share this page

We use cookies to improve user experience. If you continue, we will assume you are happy to accept cookies from this website. Continue