Council tax single person discount


We would like to ask at this difficult time that you email us with any queries rather than contact us by phone.  Please only phone us if you have an urgent query.

We understand that this is a difficult situation for everyone and appreciate your understanding regarding this matter.

If you contact us please quote your Council Tax reference number (which can be found on the right hand side of your bill and is an 8-digit number starting with 9) or your name and/or address.

If you are experiencing financial difficulties due to a drop in your income you may be entitled to Council Tax support.  Please click on the link for further information.

Universal Credit and Council Tax support

Please see below for further information about the COVID-19 Council Tax Hardship Fund.

***We have been made aware that there are a variety of scams associated with council tax refunds and discounts happening, both locally and nationally.

Any resident who receives an email or text about a council tax refund or discount which asks them to click a link and put in personal details, should be ignored and deleted. If in doubt this can be reported to***

You can claim 25% off your council tax if you are the only person over 18 who lives in your home.

You can only claim a sole occupancy discount for your sole or main residence.

You must advise us of any changes to your household, for example, if a young person becomes 18, or if a partner or friend moves into your property.

You will not be entitled to a discount if someone has left your home for a short period of time and intends to return.

How to apply

Please download and complete and return the application form or contact the council tax helpline on (01453) 754 865.

After you've applied

After you’ve applied you must still pay the amount on your council tax bill until you hear from us.

Tell us about a change

If you no longer qualify for the single person discount please let us know by emailing, phoning the council tax helpline (01453) 754 865 or write to us at the council, quoting your council tax account reference number and/or address.

You may have to pay a fine if you don’t tell us.

Share this page

We use cookies to improve user experience. If you continue, we will assume you are happy to accept cookies from this website. Continue