Council tax exemptions
****IMPORTANT NOTICE PLEASE READ****
We would like to ask at this difficult time that you email us with any queries rather than contact us by phone. Please only phone us if you have an urgent query.
We understand that this is a difficult situation for everyone and appreciate your understanding regarding this matter.
If you contact us please quote your Council Tax reference number (which can be found on the right hand side of your bill and is an 8-digit number starting with 9) or your name and/or address.
If you are experiencing financial difficulties due to a drop in your income you may be entitled to Council Tax support. Please click on the link for further information.
Please see below for further information about the COVID-19 Council Tax Hardship Fund.
Some dwellings are exempt from the council tax.
Some properties, both occupied and unoccupied are exempt from council tax. If you feel that you could be exempt from council tax due to one of the following reasons then please either contact the council tax helpline on 01453 754865 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Exemptions for unoccupied properties:
- It is owned by and was last occupied for the purpose of a charity (exempt for up to six months)
- the owner/tenant is in prison
- the owner/tenant is receiving personal care permanently in a hospital or home
- the person liable to pay council tax has died and the property has remained unoccupied since the date of death and probate or letters of administration have not been granted. In some circumstances the exemption may continue for 6 months after probate or letters of administration.
- it is forbidden by law to occupy the property
- it is awaiting occupation by a minister of religion
- the owner/tenant is living elsewhere to receive personal care
- the owner/tenant is living elsewhere to provide personal care to another person
- the owner/tenant has moved to become a student
- it has been repossessed by a mortgage lender
- it is the responsibility of a bankrupt's trustee
- it comprises an empty pitch or mooring unoccupied by a caravan or boat
- it comprises a self contained unit which cannot be let separately from the main property without breaching planning conditions
Exemptions for occupied properties
- Students in halls of residence
- other qualifying students
- members of the armed forces in MOD accommodation
- members and dependants of visiting forces
- persons under the age of 18
- the severely mentally impaired
- people with diplomatic privilege or immunity
- elderly or disabled relative living in self contained unit of the main property
Dwellings are exempt for a limited period if they:
Form part of the estate of a person who has died, for up to six months after the grant of probate or letters of administration are granted and are unoccupied.
Tell us about a change
If you no longer qualify for a discount please let us know by emailing email@example.com, phoning the council tax helpline (01453) 754 865 or write to us at the council, quoting your council tax account reference number and/or address.
You may have to pay a fine if you don’t tell us.