Council tax exemptions


We would like to ask at this difficult time that you email us with any queries rather than contact us by phone.  Please only phone us if you have an urgent query.

We understand that this is a difficult situation for everyone and appreciate your understanding regarding this matter.

If you contact us please quote your Council Tax reference number (which can be found on the right hand side of your bill and is an 8-digit number starting with 9) or your name and/or address.

If you are experiencing financial difficulties due to a drop in your income you may be entitled to Council Tax support.  Please click on the link for further information.

Universal Credit and Council Tax support

Please see below for further information about the COVID-19 Council Tax Hardship Fund.

***We have been made aware that there are a variety of scams associated with council tax refunds and discounts happening, both locally and nationally.

Any resident who receives an email or text about a council tax refund or discount which asks them to click a link and put in personal details, should be ignored and deleted. If in doubt this can be reported to***

Some dwellings are exempt from the council tax.

Some properties, both occupied and unoccupied are exempt from council tax.  If you feel that you could be exempt from council tax due to one of the following reasons then please either contact the council tax helpline on 01453 754865 or email us at

Exemptions for unoccupied properties:

  • It is owned by and was last occupied for the purpose of a charity (exempt for up to six months)
  • the owner/tenant is in prison
  • the owner/tenant is receiving personal care permanently in a hospital or home
  • the person liable to pay council tax has died and the property has remained unoccupied since the date of death and probate or letters of administration have not been granted.  In some circumstances the exemption may continue for 6 months after probate or letters of administration.
  • it is forbidden by law to occupy the property
  • it is awaiting occupation by a minister of religion
  • the owner/tenant is living elsewhere to receive personal care
  • the owner/tenant is living elsewhere to provide personal care to another person
  • the owner/tenant has moved to become a student
  • it has been repossessed by a mortgage lender
  • it is the responsibility of a bankrupt's trustee
  • it comprises an empty pitch or mooring unoccupied by a caravan or boat
  • it comprises a self contained unit which cannot be let separately from the main property without breaching planning conditions

 Exemptions for occupied properties

  • Students in halls of residence
  • other qualifying students
  • members of the armed forces in MOD accommodation
  • members and dependants of visiting forces
  • persons under the age of 18
  • the severely mentally impaired
  • people with diplomatic privilege or immunity
  • elderly or disabled relative living in self contained unit of the main property

Dwellings are exempt for a limited period if they:

Form part of the estate of a person who has died, for up to six months after the grant of probate or letters of administration are granted and are unoccupied.

Tell us about a change

If you no longer qualify for a discount please let us know by emailing, phoning the council tax helpline (01453) 754 865 or write to us at the council, quoting your council tax account reference number and/or address.

You may have to pay a fine if you don’t tell us.


Share this page

We use cookies to improve user experience. If you continue, we will assume you are happy to accept cookies from this website. Continue