We would like to ask at this difficult time that you email us with any queries rather than contact us by phone.  Please only phone us if you have an urgent query.

We understand that this is a difficult situation for everyone and appreciate your understanding regarding this matter.

If you contact us please quote your Council Tax reference number (which can be found on the right hand side of your bill and is an 8-digit number starting with 9) or your name and/or address.

If you are experiencing financial difficulties due to a drop in your income you may be entitled to Council Tax support.  Please click on the link for further information.

Universal Credit and Council Tax support

Please see below for further information about the COVID-19 Council Tax Hardship Fund.

***We have been made aware that there are a variety of scams associated with council tax refunds and discounts happening, both locally and nationally.

Any resident who receives an email or text about a council tax refund or discount which asks them to click a link and put in personal details, should be ignored and deleted. If in doubt this can be reported to***

You may be able to claim either a discount on your annexe or an exemption if the property is classed as a 'granny' annexe or if the annexe cannot be let separately because of a planning restriction.

Annexes (discounts)

From 1 April 2014 annexes which are used by the occupier of the main house as part of the main home, or annexes which are occupied by a relative of the person living in the main house will be entitled to a 50 per cent reduction in the council tax payable on the annexe.

The 50 percent reduction is on top of any other discount you or your relative may be entitled to.

The criteria for the annexe discount is:

  1. The annexe must form part of a single property which includes at least one other property, ie. the annexe must be within the grounds of the main house (not necessarily attached) and must be included in the title deeds of the main house and not registered separately.

And either:

  • The annexe is being used by the resident of the main house, as part of their main home,


  • The annexe is lived in by a relative of the person who lives in the main house. For this purpose a relative is defined as: a partner, parent, child, step child, grandparent, grandchild, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, nephew and niece (also includes great grandparent, great grandchild, great great grandparent and great great grandchild)

Granny annexes (exemptions)

If you have a dependent relative who lives in the annexe and they are over 65 years of age or they are either severely mentally impaired or are substantially and permanently disabled then we may be able to award an exemption on your annexe.

Annexes which cannot be let separately because of a planning restriction (exemptions)

If the annexe is unoccupied and cannot be let separately because of a planning restriction then you may also be able to claim an exemption.

How do I claim?

If you wish to claim an annexe discount please contact us and we will make an appointment for our inspector to visit.

If you wish to claim an exemption because your annexe is classed as a 'granny annexe' please contact us and we will send you a form.

Share this page

We use cookies to improve user experience. If you continue, we will assume you are happy to accept cookies from this website. Continue