Whenever we process personal information we do so under UK Data Protection legislation. The main pieces of law which tell us how to manage personal data are the Data Protection Act 2018 and the UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Subject Access Requests
Under UK GDPR individuals have the right to ask an organisation to provide access to their own personal information. Requests for personal information outside of our normal service are referred to as ‘Subject Access Requests' or 'SARs'. We have One Month to respond to a SAR.
Please note that this only gives you access to your own personal information. You won't be able to see information about other individuals.
A SAR can be made in writing or verbally but its best to send it by email to email@example.com if you can. You can also complete the Access request form or contact us. When you make a request please:
- Let us know what personal information you want to access, which Council service areas you have been in contact with (e.g. Council Tax, Planning) and the estimated dates you would like us to search over. Please try to be as specific as possible with the information you are requesting.
- If you can provide ID with your request this can help speed things up. Alternatively if you have a relationship with the council (e.g. you pay council tax or are a tenant) we can phone you to complete verbal security checks.
- Let us know your preferred contact method and an address to send the information (ideally an email).
- If you are making a SAR request on behalf of someone else, we will need to speak to the data subject to confirm their full consent.
- If you are making a request for more than one person, we will need to confirm ID and consent for each party involved and identify how each party wants to receive their own data.
Where identity cannot be confirmed or the request needs clarification we will need to contact you. While we are awaiting additional information the time to respond to your request is stopped. If we haven't heard from you within 2 weeks of seeking additional information we will close your request and a new one will need to be made. When we send your data by email we use an encrypted service called Egress to protect your data.