Skip to content

How do I stand as a candidate for election?

Information about the nominations process and template nomination forms for the election on 2 May 2024 will be updated in due course.


Elections are held for District and Parish/Town Councillors every four years where all seats will be re-elected at the same time. The next local elections in Stroud are taking place in May 2024.

To stand as a candidate, you will need to complete a set of nomination papers for the electoral area you are wanting to represent. These will be available from your local Parish/Town Council or from Stroud District Council's Offices in February 2024. The Democratic Services and Elections Office will be able to answer any questions you may have in relation to the nomination process as will the Parish/Town Clerk.

When you complete your nomination papers, you will need to show that you have been formally nominated by a particular number of registered electors in the electoral area you are wishing to stand. These are as follows:

  • District Elections - A proposer and seconder who support your nomination in the District ward you are wanting to represent.
  • Parish/Town Elections - A proposer and seconder who support your nomination in the Parish/Town or Parish Ward (if the Parish/Town is warded) you are wanting to represent.

If you are thinking of standing as a candidate on behalf of a political party, you must contact the local branch of that party first, as they may be in the process of selecting candidates for future elections. You will also need to have consent from the party to stand on their behalf and obtain a signature from the nominating officer.

You do not need to stand on behalf of a political party to be a District or Parish/Town Councillor. If you want to stand independently as a District Councillor, you must use the description 'Independent' on your nomination form.

Further guidance for candidates standing as an Independent or on behalf of a political party can be found on the Electoral Commission website at both District and Parish/Town level.

Share this page