COVID 19 - FAQs for taxi and private hire licence holders

Information for taxi drivers during the Covid 19 restrictions .

Government Advice for Taxis and PHVs on how to operate safely during Covid dated November 2020

Click here

DfT Letter to Taxi and Private Hire Providers dated 13 May 2020

Click here




1.  Can I still work as a taxi or private hire business?

Yes. The advice from the Department of Transport is Taxis and private hire vehicles can continue to work.


2. Will I still receive my licence renewal reminders?

Yes, the licensing team will send you your reminder by post using an external postal service. This is so you can fill it in and then either scan or photograph it and then return it to the licensing team with the supporting documents by emailing it to the licensing team on or by posting it with copies of the supporting documents to Ebley Mill. The licensing team will phone you for payment.


3. Will I still receive a reminder when my vehicle inspection at an authorised garage is due?

Yes the licensing team will send reminders but they will be by email.


4. Can I have a covid screen in my vehicle

The Council has not made screens or partitions compulsory in taxi and private hire vehicles in relation of Covid 19.  However licence holders are permitted to install screens or partitions, if they choose, provided it meets the specifications and authorisation process in the Council's policy.


Here is a link to the Government's advice on safety screen for taxis and PHVs


Here is a link to the LGA (Local Government Association) guidance on screens/partitions in taxis


5. My taxi or private hire licence is due to be renewed, how can I do this?

You must email with the completed renewal form together with any documents. You can either scan the documents if you have the facilities to do so or take a photo on your phone.  The licensing team will ring you to take the payment.


6. I don’t have use of email, how can I renew?

You can post your application form and copies of your supporting documents to the Council Offices at Ebley Mill marked for the attention of the licensing team. Do not send a cheque, the licensing team will telephone you to make a payment.


7. Can I post original documents to the Council Offices?

No. Please do not send original documents like driving licences and registration documents as we may not be able to post them back to you.


8. Can I send you a cheque for payment?

No. Do not send a cheque. The licensing team will telephone you to take payment.


9. Can I pay online?

We currently do not have a facility for you to pay on-line for new applications. The licensing team will telephone you to take payment. However you can pay for your renewal on-line. See our page on taxi renewals


10. I am not working at the moment and I cannot afford to pay to renew my licences, what can I do?

If your licence is due to expire but you are not currently working due to the Coronavirus pandemic, you can email just your completed renewal form to the licensing team on and ask for the completion of your renewal to be deferred until such a time as you wish to start doing taxi or private hire work again. You will need to confirm in the email that you are not working at the present time.

When you wish to begin operating again please provide the Licensing Section with any outstanding renewal documents and/or fees so that we can complete the renewal of your licence.

Please note that whilst your renewal is deferred you should not undertake taxi or private hire work and, if appropriate, you should temporarily remove the taxi or private hire plate from your vehicle.


11. I do not want to renew my licence or I want to surrender my licence?

Email the licensing team on and they will cancel your renewal or surrender your licence as well as arrange for any refunds for plate deposits or remaining months that may be due. Refunds will be made to your bank account so you will need to provide the licensing team with your bank details.


12. How can I return my taxi plate to get my plate deposit back.

You cannot return your plate to the Council at this time. You must destroy the plate and any badges by defacing them or cutting them up and disposing of them. You should email the licensing team on with a statement confirming that you have done this.


13. How will my renewed taxi or private hire badge be sent to me? 

Your badge will be sent to you in the post.


14. How will my renewed internal vehicle disc and/or external plate be sent to me?

Your internal disc will be sent to you in the post. If you need an external plate we will arrange with you a time and date for you to meet up with an Officer in the carpark of the Council Offices at Ebley Mill and the plate will be handed to you.


15. I cannot get a medical done because my GP surgery is prioritising other things?

Many GP surgeries have restarted offering medicals. However we will defer your medical if your practice has delays. Please discuss with us by email


16. I cannot get a new photo for my driver licence?

If you have an up to date electronic head and shoulders photograph you can email this to us. If not we will use the most latest photograph we have on file and update your photograph next time your renew.


17. I cannot get a MOT for my taxi or private hire vehicle? 

The Government  allowed an extension for 6 months on all MOTs so we will also allow you this extension. However most MOT garages are now working so you should be able to get an MOT if it is due.


18. I cannot get my vehicle inspected for its Council Vehicle Test at any of the authorised garages? 

Most of our authorised garages are now working so you should be able to find a garage from the list that will undertake your vehicle inspection.


19.  Can I make a new taxi or private hire driver application?

Yes we can accept new driver applications. Please contact the Licensing Team on for further advice


20. How can I get my enhanced criminal check done?

You must use the on-line system which is explained on the taxi driver licensing web pages


21. Can I change my licensed vehicle or put on a new vehicle?

Yes. However, we cannot accept a vehicle that is over 5 years old. You will need to email the licensing team on  with the application form and supporting documents. See our taxi vehicle licensing web pages for the forms and documents required.   In addition, you will need to email the licensing team photos of the vehicle as Licensing Officers will not be able to check your vehicle in person. You will need to get any new vehicle inspected at one of Council’s authorised garages which are listed on the link above.


22.  How can I keep myself and my passengers safe?

You should take account of Government Guidelines.   We recommend that you only seat passengers in the rear of the vehicle and wipe down all hard surfaces, including door handles regularly with an antibacterial wipe. Wash your hands frequently or use an antibacterial gel and try to avoid touching your face. Where possible keep the recommended 2 metres distance from your passengers.


23. Where can I find out more about what Stroud District Council are doing?

The Council has a Coronavirus webpage with lots of advice.



Share this page

We use cookies to improve user experience. If you continue, we will assume you are happy to accept cookies from this website. Continue