Multiple Occupancy Homes (HMO)
If you rent out a property for house in multiple occupation (HMO), you may require a licence.
Applications must be made to the local housing authority.
A fee maybe charged.
You must be a fit and proper person to hold the licence.
Application evaluation process
Licences will be granted if:
- the house is or can be made suitable for multiple occupation
- the applicant is a fit and proper person and the most appropriate person to hold the licence
- the proposed manager has control of the house, and is a fit and proper person to be the manager
- the management arrangements are satisfactory
The mandatory HMO licencing fee is £830 for a 5 year licence per property. The fee is paid in two parts:
- An initial non-refundable payment of £245 must accompany the application
- If the application is approved, the remaining £585 must be paid prior to the issue of the licence.
How to apply
- Apply online for a house in multiple occupation licence
- Apply by post for a house in multiple occupation licence
Applications can be scanned and e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or posted to Environmental Health, Stroud District Council, Ebley Mill, Ebley Wharf, Stroud, GL5 4UB.
Once an application is received it will be processed within 8 weeks.