skip to main content

Multiple Occupancy Homes (HMO)

If you rent out a property for house in multiple occupation (HMO), you may require a licence.


Applications must be made to the local housing authority.

A fee maybe charged.

You must be a fit and proper person to hold the licence.

Regulation summary

Application evaluation process

Licences will be granted if:

  • the house is or can be made suitable for multiple occupation
  • the applicant is a fit and proper person and the most appropriate person to hold the licence
  • the proposed manager has control of the house, and is a fit and proper person to be the manager
  • the management arrangements are satisfactory


  • New or renewed standard applications £830

How to apply

Applications can be scanned and e-mailed to or posted to Environmental Health, Stroud District Council, Ebley Mill, Ebley Wharf, Stroud, GL5 4UB.

Once an application is received it will be processed within 8 weeks.

Share this page

We use cookies to improve user experience. If you continue, we will assume you are happy to accept cookies from this website. Continue