Multiple Occupancy Homes (HMO)
If you rent out a property for house in multiple occupation (HMO), you may require a licence.
Applications must be made to the local housing authority.
A fee maybe charged.
You must be a fit and proper person to hold the licence.
Application evaluation process
Licences will be granted if:
- the house is or can be made suitable for multiple occupation
- the applicant is a fit and proper person and the most appropriate person to hold the licence
- the proposed manager has control of the house, and is a fit and proper person to be the manager
- the management arrangements are satisfactory
- New or renewed standard applications £450
- Variations to application £70
- Additional cost for non-standard applications per hour £33.00
- Apply for a house in multiple occupation licence
- Application to renew a licence for a house in multiple occupation
- Application to change a licence for a house in multiple occupation