Pet Shop Licence
To run a business selling pet animals you need a licence from the local authority. This includes all commercial selling of pet animals, including pet shops and businesses selling animals over the internet.
Applicants for a pet shop licence must not be disqualified from keeping a pet shop.
A fee, determined by the Local Authority, will be payable on application.
Application evaluation process
Local authorities must have regard to the following when considering an application for a pet shop licence:
- that animals will be kept in suitable accommodation, for example in regards to temperature, size, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness
- adequate food and drink will be provided to the animals and they will be visited at suitable intervals
- that any mammalian animals will not be sold too young
- that steps are taken to prevent disease spreading among the animals
- that adequate fire and emergency provisions are in place
Conditions can be attached to a licence to ensure that the above are complied with.
Will tacit consent apply?
No, an inspection will need to be made before any application is granted in order to safeguard animal welfare and public health and protection.
- First application: £169 per annum
- Renewal: £131
- expires 31st December each year
- Amendments and copies of licences: £10.50
Apply by post