VE Day Celebrations
An Order to extend Licensing Hours to mark the 75th anniversary of Victory in Europe (VE) Day has now been approved and come into force.
The Government have approved an order to allow pubs, clubs and bars across England and Wales to extend their licensing hours on Friday 8th May 2020 and Saturday 9th May 2020 until 01:00 the following morning.
Information about the Order
- The extension only applies to licensed premises in England and Wales
- Pubs that are licensed to trade until 11pm will be allowed to open until 1am. So, for example, if you are authorised to sell alcohol and provide regulated entertainment until at least 11pm these will be extended until 1am.
- If you only have regulated entertainment and no alcohol until at least 11:00pm, then only regulated entertainment will be extended until 01:00 hours.
- The extension does not apply to late night takeaways or other hot food establishments, unless they are also authorised to sell alcohol.
- The extension does not apply to off-licences, be they outright off-licences or pubs or bars that authorise off sales as well as on. What this means for pubs and bars is that sales of alcohol for consumption on the premises will be extended but off-sales will not. If you therefore have a beer garden or patio which is not part of your licensed premises then the extension does not apply to this area and you will be limited to the existing permissions on your licence or certificate (or apply for a TEN).
- Any relevant conditions on your premises licence or Club Premises Certificate will continue to apply. So for example if the beer garden must close by midnight the Order does not extend this restriction. If you have a condition stating that door staff must be employed “until the premises closes”, then clearly they must continue to be employed for the later hours. Only the hours and activities are relaxed, not the conditions.
- For information regarding Street Parties to celebrate VE Day please click here
- For further information please see either GOV.UK or PopplestonAllen