Skip to content

Premises Licence (alcohol, entertainment and late night refreshment)

A premises licence is required by any premise that undertakes any of the following licensable activities;

  • Sale by retail of alcohol or supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club to, or to the order of, a member of the club.
  • The provision of regulated entertainment
  • Late night refreshment which is the provision of hot food or drinks between the hours of 11pm & 5am.

What is regulated entertainment?

Subject to qualifying conditions Regulated Entertainment is defined as:

  • A performance of a play
  • An exhibition of a film
  • An indoor sporting event
  • A boxing or wrestling entertainment (indoors or outdoors)
  • A performance of live music
  • Any playing of recorded music (except incidental
  • A performance of a dance
  • Entertainment of similar description to that falling within the performance of live music, any playing of recorded music and the performance of dance

For more information about regulated entertainment and for exemptions see our fact sheet.

Regulation summary

The Licensing Act 2003 regulates premises licences.

Apply for a licence

Applicants must be over the age of 18.

For an application for a new premises licence or a variation to a premises licence you must submit the following to the Licensing Authority;

  • Application form - which includes the operating schedule detailing licensable activities, timings and opening hours being applied for, if the application is to be time limited the period being applied for, details of the designated premises supervisor, if alcohol is being applied for whether it is to be sold for consumption on or off the premises or both, the steps proposed to promote the licensing objectives and any other required information.
  • If you are applying as an individual/s or a partnership you must include a copy of a document demonstrating your entitlement to work in the United Kingdom.
  • Fee
  • Plan of the premises
  • If the application is for the supply of alcohol the form of consent from the premises supervisor    

You can apply online via GOV.UK using the online links below the appropriate heading. If you apply on-line the Licensing Authority are required to forward a copy of your application to the police and other responsible authorities.  A fee will be payable when you submit your application.  

Alternatively, you can apply by post/hand delivery using the Word documents below the appropriate heading. Applicants are required to give a copy of the application to the responsible authorities which include the police, fire and rescue authority and environmental health. For the full list please see responsible authorities contact details.

New application

Major variation

Minor variation

Transfer application

Vary Designated Premises Supervisor    

Community premises - disapply designated premises supervisor


Application Process

A hearing must be held if any representations are made in respect of the application. If a hearing is held the licence can be granted or granted subject to additional conditions, licensable activities listed in the application can be excluded or the application can be rejected.

The licensing authority will serve a notice of its decision on the applicant, any relevant persons and the chief of police.

Licence holder redress

An interested party or responsible authority may apply to the licensing authority to review the premises licence. A hearing will be held by the licensing authority.

Appeals are made to a Magistrates' court within 21 days of notice of the decision.

Other redress

An interested party or responsible body may make representations in relation to a licence application or a major variation. A hearing will be held by the licensing authority.

An interested party or responsible authority may apply to the licensing authority to review the premises licence. A hearing will be held by the licensing authority.

A chief police officer may close premises and make representations to the licensing authority for a review of the licence if the premises are licensed to sell alcohol by retail and a senior member of the force has given a certificate to state that in their opinion the premises are associated with serious crime, disorder or both.

A chief police officer can give a notice to the licensing authority if they believe that the transfer of a licence to another, or a variation of designated premises supervisor could undermine crime prevention objectives. Such a notice must be given within 14 days of receiving notification of the application.

An interested party or relevant authority who made relevant representations may appeal against the granting of a licence or against any condition, variation, licensable activity or premises supervisor decisions.

Appeals are made to a Magistrates' court within 21 days of notice of the decision.

Further Information

Share this page

We use cookies to improve user experience. If you continue, we will assume you are happy to accept cookies from this website. Continue